More fossils from filey beach

Guy Macdonald

The ammonite was given to me by my father, I never got round to asking him if it was real or not before it passed what do you all think, the shell fossil was found on filey

fossil_6.png

fossil 9.png

Appreciate the reply man how can you be sure, it looks in way too good condition, maybe restored a bit or well polished?

These are certainly authentic, and it is heartening to see such a gift from father to son. :) 

As to whether or not these are staged, these are not pieces that would generally be profitable to fake. These contain far more sentimental value. ;)

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

4 minutes ago, Guy Macdonald said:

Appreciate the reply man how can you be sure, it looks in way too good condition, maybe restored a bit or well polished?

Experience. I have seen a lot of them.

Just now, PaleoRon said:

Experience. I have seen a lot of them.

Oh cool so as an authentic fossil would you say this is in decent condition and has come out well. I've been very careful with it over the years my dad did well to find this then.

One way to tell it hasn't been cast is also the lack of bubble on the surface.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

It doesn't look to me like it has been polished or treated in any way, but it is incomplete, and many complete ones have come out of there, so it's not the best possible specimen... but it's not bad as a specimen and even better as a keepsake from your father.

Archived