Philosoraptor

On a recent trip up to Little Falls, I somehow managed to spot this little guy while going through some scraps of shale. It isn't excellently preserved or anything and it's only an impression of a cephalon but what surprised me was the size of it. It's less than 4 millimeters wide and that's stretching it. It's certainly the smallest Triarthrus I've seen. Sorry for the poor quality, this is as good as I can get through a microscope.

IMG_1368.thumb.JPG.87df4a7df0937990eefedf25a6029176.JPG 

How funny you mention that! I just had a visitor who shared with me their finds from the same area, I was just going to post them tonight!

That one you've posted is definitely tiny! Don't know how you managed to spot it, lol!

20170717_131650.thumb.jpg.afb58cd3f78c0f8f344b7fe523dfcf8d.jpg

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

12 minutes ago, DevonianDigger said:

That one you've posted is definitely tiny! Don't know how you managed to spot it, lol!

I have no clue lol

@Foozil, sorry I haven't given you that info yet. I was going to check today, but was prevented from doing so by a rather poorly timed tornado.

I think it's this: http://www.celestron.com/browse-shop/microscopes/digital-microscopes/infiniview-lcd-digital-microscope

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

6 minutes ago, DevonianDigger said:

@Foozil, sorry I haven't given you that info yet. I was going to check today, but was prevented from doing so by a rather poorly timed tornado.

I think it's this: http://www.celestron.com/browse-shop/microscopes/digital-microscopes/infiniview-lcd-digital-microscope

Thats fine, and thanks for the link. Is everything alright from the tornado? (was it bad? I'm not really used to tornados so...)

It went directly over the site, but hadn't touched down yet where we were, so it was a lot of straight-line winds. No damage to the rocks, lol. It was more nerve-wracking than anything as we had a full compliment of visitors and a children's day camp going. Thankfully no one was injured, and everything was okay when the dust settled. My phone was destroyed in the mayhem, but once I dump the SD card I'll upload some videos I took after it had passed where you can see it continuing on through Hamburg.

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

Archived