Mystery Paleocene shark tooth

jodypratt

I found this little tooth at Purse State Park in Maryland today. The site is Paleocene, so pre-megalodon (I think). But the shape looks meg-ish and like nothing else I know to be there. I thought maybe it was a mackerel shark fragment, but it's really flat like a meg. Any guesses?

Thanks!

Jody

IMG_2597.JPG

IMG_2602.JPG

IMG_2603.JPG

IMG_2604.JPG

Did a little more online sleuthing and I'm thinking maybe this is a pygmy white shark? (Which would be cool!)

• I found this Informative 1

I think you have a Paleocarcharodon tooth, based on the fact that it seems to have coarse serrations.  These teeth are one of the real prizes that can be found at Purse. 

Don

• I found this Informative 2

Palaeocarcharodon orientalis- extinct pygmy white shark. Nice find!

• I found this Informative 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Thanks for your help, Don! I had a feeling I had something special as soon as I saw it. This one's going in the Hall of Fame jar in my collection! 

A nice way to display your "hall of fame" teeth could be to get a Riker box.  These have a top with a glass panel and are filled with a cottony material that hold the fossils in place.  They are generally made for displaying insects but they work great for shark teeth.  Much better than a jar.

Don

• I found this Informative 2

6 minutes ago, jodypratt said:

Thanks for your help, Don! I had a feeling I had something special as soon as I saw it. This one's going in the Hall of Fame jar in my collection! 

"hall of fame jar" That just made my day lol.

rydysig.JPG

16 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

There is no race to be first with a response, especially when the response is clearly wrong.  Slow down and double check if you aren't sure.  I always do that and even if I'm not first with the answer I always learn something.  I can tell you are very enthusiastic which is great, just try to control it a bit and I'm sure you'll ha

31 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

I see no value in posting a photo of a tooth that has been rendered unidentifiable by crude carving into the shape of an arrowhead.  The Fossil Forum is dedicated to helping people learn about fossils, and such posts do nothing to contribute to that end.

Don

Geez, the dude posted a picture of a sharks tooth he carved. The world isn't going to end over it, just calm down. There's no reason to insult the guy's work like that.

Congratulations on a great and rare find. I'm still searching for my first pigmy white from the Potomac. Thanks for sharing your success with us.