Tooth fossil? Help identifying

Feedboy

Hello I was wondering if anyone could help identifying this fossil. It was found around Eugene Oregon. Thanks 

52208535169__874DD009-DE1C-4769-8119-BC45ADC7C4DF.JPG

52208533919__C1F9B2FE-E12F-4A85-8300-E8DC43801C92.JPG

Wow.. now that is interesting.:headscratch:Are you sure its not from Morocco? Certainly looks like a tooth. Did you find it?

I didn't find but was told it was found in a deep gravel pit around Eugene Oregon So I don't know maybe someone was telling stories but would like to find out what it was from if anything

Not a sperm whale - it's got cutting edges (carinae). Looks like an enormous croc tooth to me. Do you know the precise location? If so, the geologic unit can be pinpointed. This could be quite important.

Yup, thanks, already seen those views. What about the location? That is what is critical for a partial specimen like this.

Just ask my father. Unfortunately said he doesn't remember. I remember him saying oregon when I was younger like 20 years ago. Sorry I can't be helpful with location 

If you knew the location it was found, it could be something very important. It still could be, but sucks not knowing where the item was collected. Is there any way you could find out where it was from? Anyway, really nice fossil :wub:

7 hours ago, Feedboy said:

Is there any way to test it for mineral content and maybe help with location ?

No, not without the use of equipment from large laboratories. everyone is  dancing around the fact it looks like a worm spinosaurid from morroco, but this cannot be sure. It also looks kinda like a huge croc or alligator, maybe dienosuchus?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Remains of Metriorhynchus have been described from the Jurassic of Oregon, and Oregon was also marine during the Cretaceous, although I've found no reference to crocs or alligators (certainly not spinosaurids).

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

16 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

No, not without the use of equipment from large laboratories. everyone is  dancing around the fact it looks like a worm spinosaurid from morroco, but this cannot be sure. It also looks kinda like a huge croc or alligator, maybe dienosuchus?

It's Deinosuchus.

Spell check doesn't like "e" before "i".

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

Just now, SailingAlongToo said:

It's Deinosuchus.

Spell check doesn't like "e" before "i".

No it doesn't. Deinosuchus is Cretaceous, right?

Happy hunting,

Mason

Yes, at least the Deinosuchus rugosus is Cretaceous.

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

Campanian formation says are only found along the coast in Oregon? But deinosuchus is only known to inhabit the North American interior sea way and the east coast, as well as north Mexico.

Happy hunting,

Mason

Thanks for the info! Crazy coincidence I was googling deinosuchus and I share the same last name as the guy who first documented some teeth back in 1858

I sent my father a picture of the tooth and Jarred his memory it was found in Oregon he had also found a mastodon tooth around same area

Just now, Feedboy said:

I sent my father a picture of the tooth and Jarred his memory it was found in Oregon he had also found a mastodon tooth around same area

Well mastodon are from very different environments than crocodiles/gators and a different time period than deinosuchus. It is possible that the two deposits were near each other however, or one could have been redeposited.

Happy hunting,

Mason

I'm not convinced it's Deinosuchus. Or even a reptile. It could easily be reptile or mammal to my eye. As for spinosaur, the color isn't exactly right for Morocco, but I guess it's at least possible.

Does anyone know of a place in Oregon where I could take to have examined. Does OSU or UofO have a department for fossils?