Fossil or Rock in Summit County, Ohio

Brian11

Too bad it was not a fossil. I discovered my first fossil about 50 years ago just south of you in North Canton. As small, 10 year old children, my friends and I noticed steam coming from a snow covered hill close to Akron Canton Airport. We cleared the snow away, only to discover an opening into an underground abandoned mine shaft. What were  inquisitive children to do? Run home, fetched some flashlights and into the mine we went. Out I came with a beautiful crinoid stem. Truth be known, now as a father, I would have punished my son for doing something so dangerous. But in hindsight, boy did we have fun that year exploring that mine. Now that I am reminiscing, the words Summit County bring up another not so smart thing that a friend and I did, again, right about the age that we explored the mine. You should appreciate this knowing the landmarks that I will mention. My friend and I went down to the train tracks by Beldon Village in North Canton early one morning. We began hiking up the tracks unbeknownst to our parents. Thirty miles later, we end up at Summit Mall with the day rapidly ending. We NEVER anticipated how we were to get home and walking was out of the question since all of our feet sported huge blisters. Now to call our parents.  It was not a pretty sight! Oh the fun of being youthful again! Have fun searching for a great discovery!!! If your son wants directions to that mine, have him contact me. Tell him I won't rat him out to his parents. 

Mike

Archived