Whitby Formation now Blue Mountain Formation??

JUAN EMMANUEL

I feel like I'm behind this but is it true that what was called the Whitby formation in southwestern Ontario is now called the Blue Mountain formation? Does anyone know the real story behind what happened officially?

"The term Whitby Formation replaces the biostratigraphic units Collingwood, Gloucester, and Blue Mountain. The formation consists of three members, a lower black shale member, a middle brown shale member, and an upper grey and blue shale member. The Whitby Formation is about 290 feet thick near Lake Ontario, thinning to about 170 feet thick along Nottawasaga Bay."

Hewitt, D.F. (1972). Paleozoic Geology of Southern Ontario. Geologic Report 105. Toronto.

• I found this Informative 3

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I noticed Churcher/Johnson/Kirkland contained detailed regional-geological maps,BTW

Image underneath from Dix et al.

rcnaages.jpg

In 2000 Armstrong referred to the Withby as the Collingwood member of the Lindsay Formation and that is currently the official name for the formation.  But that never stops anyone from referring to it using the old name.  I recently reviewed a manuscript on the Brechin area crinoids and pointed out this error.  The authors are still going with Cobourg and Whitby rather than Lindsay and Collingwood Mb of the Lindsay but put in an additional line that they are using old terminology.  I guess they did not want to find the old names and put in the new names.  Unfortuantely/fortunately I will be one of the authors and here I go bashing myself.  Keep in mind that I am just a co-author and NOT the actual writer.

Joe

• I found this Informative 4