Question on Missouri River

UnbrandedMoss

Does anyone know if the Missouri River and the bluffs along it are good for fossils and if so where would be a good place to start? It seems like a lot of good exposures are along the banks. 

missouri-river-bluffs.jpg

Edited by UnbrandedMoss

If it's legal, it looks good, looks like the right stone, maybe two formations, and rocks are eroded to the ground for easy finding. Use a geologic map to tell a formation. Then I suggest you take a look. Remember though, vertebrate fossils are normally illegal to collect from public land (check SD's laws, I'm not familiar with them). If it's on private land, try to obtain permission from owners.

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

6 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

If it's legal, it looks good, looks like the right stone, maybe two formations, and rocks are eroded to the ground for easy finding. Use a geologic map to tell a formation. Then I suggest you take a look. Remember though, vertebrate fossils are normally illegal to collect from public land (check SD's laws, I'm not familiar with them). If it's on private land, try to obtain permission from owners.

I'm finding it hard to see what would be legal and what wouldn't. What do you normally do in your state?

As a general rule government land (BLM and Forestry.) is open to collecting invertebrate fossils with the exception of national monuments and designated parklands / wildlife preserves. I do not know about SD state land rules.

You can contact the local BLM or Forestry offices near You to find out what areas are open or closed to collecting.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

3 hours ago, UnbrandedMoss said:

I'm finding it hard to see what would be legal and what wouldn't. What do you normally do in your state?

I would hope it's private and find the address using google maps and send a letter asking for permission. Even if it's public, invertebrates are usually okay to collect. In Maryland this is what I do, if it's not posted a quick scouting mission is usually okay. Missouri River may have property rules about where property ends and public boating waters begin.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

23 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

I would hope it's private and find the address using google maps and send a letter asking for permission. Even if it's public, invertebrates are usually okay to collect. In Maryland this is what I do, if it's not posted a quick scouting mission is usually okay. Missouri River may have property rules about where property ends and public boating waters begin.

Sounds good, thanks for the help.

1 hour ago, UnbrandedMoss said:

Sounds good, thanks for the help.

No problem, always happy to be able to!

Happy hunting,

Mason