New Hobby Question

scott michael

Hello. I am new to fossil hunting. I've found a few in the past, but on this hunt while in a creek bed I found this one. Can anyone tell me what I found? Is it worth looking in the same creek bed? I am in Upstate NY. 

IMG_0914.JPG

Edited by scott michael

It's limestone with a ton of crinoid segments. I would go back, there is probably more. The forum doesn't do appraisals, a fossil is worth whatever someone is willing to pay.

• I found this Informative 2

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Welcome to the Forum. :)

You have a bunch of crinoid stem pieces and columnals. 

Definitely worth looking more in the area. 

Regards,

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Scott Michael,  Welcome to our Fossil Forum. Your fossil crinoids hash is species specific. Looks to be Thylacocrinus clarkei. Not a commonly found species. I can't tell for sure, but the hash is dissolved away in a Quartzite like the Oriskany Sandstone. All this information points to Devonian in age. I have included a picture my specimen found in shale and not dissolved away.

Thylacocrinus clarkei.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Welcome to the forum from central New York! I would take another look!:)

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Thanks everyone. Like the one person said, I found this in Oriskany near the sand pits. Wow. I'm going tomorrow to look for more. Thanks everyone 

I've never seen a plate where the crinoids are dissolved away, but left such great detailed impressions. Very interesting.

I am really impressed with this kind of detailed preservation - as molds in sandstone! Very, very nice!

Franz Bernhard