Pulled the pin on a Keichousaurus

Long time lurker here, figured it was time to sign up!

I have been reading up on Keichousaurus out of China and how some are fakes and others are real fossils. 

Decided to pull the pin and pick one up, hope I made the right choice. 

The one toe that seems detached and the way the sternum bones are offset just seem too much work to fake. (I hope)

Also the way the tail isn't perfect bone for bone

Seller has a multitude of positive feedback.

Please feel free to give your opinion.

IMG_3849.PNG

IMG_3852.PNG

IMG_3854.PNG

The calcite veins cross the entire length of the matrix rock in a harmonious and quite pleasant way. The matrix rock is also perfectly compatible in coloring and texture with the other Guizhou rocks in China, where these fossil reptiles are fairly common, abundant and found in the thousands. I wish I had a photo of the tail end. But for these photos, in my opinion, I can say that some phalanges are painted. Usually sellers sell from Hong Kong, so they manage to circumvent the laws and send them out of the country. But a general assessment, just for these photos, I consider it an excellent specimen and I do not see any kind of red flag here, except for some painted phalanges.

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

7 minutes ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

except for some painted phalanges.

Just curious, but what ones are painted on?

I find the disarticulations and the partially occluded head to be supportive of a natural fossil. Scrutiny with a 10X loupe will reveal any paint embellishment. I like it.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

18 minutes ago, Foozil said:

Just curious, but what ones are painted on?

It is particularly difficult to give an opinion without having the fossil in hand, or a photo that is of good quality, preferably with the well-lit specimen. But I tend to suspect very straight phalanges with no anatomical definition. I agree with snolly50. Here would be a magnifying glass of 10X would be very welcome to eliminate these doubts... And I also agree with Aurelius, it is a well defined specimen above those that are usually announced.

Prova.PNG

03.PNG

Thanks for the input, it's much appreciated!

If a few of the phalanges are painted on and its noticeable I will might see if I cant just clean them up and remove them.

Not too worried about anatomically perfect, just want a nice specimen.

Here is a larger pic of the tail

IMG_3855.PNG

Here is a larger picture of the photo posted earlier.

IMG_3852_2.PNG

2 hours ago, snolly50 said:

I find the disarticulations and the partially occluded head to be supportive of a natural fossil. Scrutiny with a 10X loupe will reveal any paint embellishment. I like it.

I agree that is what attracted me to this one.

Its not your typical perfectly splayed out specimen, seems more natural.

I'll post up some better pics once its in my hands!

The unusual position gives it charm as well as speaks to it being real! Congrats, it's a gorgeous specimen!

• 4 weeks later...

Been super busy with work so took a while to get back here.

Shipping was awesome , I received it just 7 days after making payment.

I am very happy with my purchase, no signs of paint anywhere.

Everyting is three dimensional a has different texture to surrounding matrix.

I could see where original matrix is still between neck vertebrae, and the way some of the bone has fractured.

It all looks real to me. If its fake this guy is pretty amazing at it.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_665d.thumb.jpg.2c7bb188865f3e3cd9fa15992f66ca8e.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_665e.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_665f.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6660.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6661.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6662.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations! :yay-smiley-1:

I am very happy to know that the phalanges are not painted! Fossil beautiful and incredible!

03.PNG

Echoing the others. This is a real specimen anyone would be proud of.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

• 1 month later...

This particular seller from china is apparently selling real unpainted Keichousaurus fossils.  It appears the market is not as flooded with fakes from china as some claim. The hysteria online about getting keiches online from china may be outdated now. Anyone else noticing there are a nice amount of authentic keiches coming out of chine lately for only a couple hundred bucks? 

Good specimen. Don't think there is any paint on this one. In my opinion, nearly all the Keichs online are real. The fake ones are totally obvious. Real ones are so plentiful and so cheap it is not worth faking them. 

6 hours ago, Anngottesman said:

This particular seller from china is apparently selling real unpainted Keichousaurus fossils.  It appears the market is not as flooded with fakes from china as some claim. The hysteria online about getting keiches online from china may be outdated now. Anyone else noticing there are a nice amount of authentic keiches coming out of chine lately for only a couple hundred bucks? 

Okay, brace yourself, I'm going to say it again! There has never been a fake problem with Keichousaurs. People just assumed they were fake, because they felt they were too good to be true! Of course, there are composites, painting, etc etc, but fakery isn't much of an issue. I got several beautiful ones about four years ago, and didn't pay more than $150 for any of them.

8 minutes ago, Aurelius said:

Okay, brace yourself, I'm going to say it again! There has never been a fake problem with Keichousaurs. People just assumed they were fake, because they felt they were too good to be true! Of course, there are composites, painting, etc etc, but fakery isn't much of an issue. I got several beautiful ones about four years ago, and didn't pay more than $150 for any of them.

I think your are right but there are also lots of ugly prep work and badly enhanced with paint jobs out there too. I think I have a really fine example I paid £160 .that is  100% genuine.  

Most of them have hideous prep - I think they use a grinding wheel to remove the matrix, because they are difficult to prep 'properly'. I've been waiting for their technique to improve.

Archived