Pulled the pin on a Keichousaurus

25 minutes ago, Aurelius said:

Most of them have hideous prep - I think they use a grinding wheel to remove the matrix, because they are difficult to prep 'properly'. I've been waiting for their technique to improve.

Interesting I was not sure how thay prepared them but I have seen some badly hacked  examples recently. Do they not use acid or air brush in some cases.

No, I don't believe they ever use acid, and I'm not convinced they use air pens. But I don't know for certain, and I'm not sure there is much information out there. Apparently they are very difficult to prep, although I'd like to give it a go.

1 hour ago, Aurelius said:

No, I don't believe they ever use acid, and I'm not convinced they use air pens. But I don't know for certain, and I'm not sure there is much information out there. Apparently they are very difficult to prep, although I'd like to give it a go.

I wished I have had learned how to prep fossil. It really interesting to me the fact you need to understand what you are work on and have the skills to get the best out of the specimen. I am Artist and a model maker so they maybe transferable stills. Bet it is hard to find an unprepared keichousaurus but I think mine was prob in the uk.

It looks to me that it seems to be common practice to utilize hard wire wheels to remove matrix. You see this a lot in many of the Wheeler Shale trilobite preps as well. They might have a similar matrix hardness.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Properly preparing a keichousaurus is very difficult and time consuming. The cost of unprepared specimens and the labor involved compared to most actual prices payed for finely prepped keichousaurus makes better prepping unlikely. 

3 hours ago, steelhead9 said:

Properly preparing a keichousaurus is very difficult and time consuming. The cost of unprepared specimens and the labor involved compared to most actual prices payed for finely prepped keichousaurus makes better prepping unlikely. 

I think you hit the nail on the head, for 90% of the specimen out there but well prepped are available on the market. But this is just my opinion i have gained  from what I have read on this forum,  ugly  prepared specimen is not a big issue as long as they are genuine ( so badly prepared specimens sale all the time so no need to improve the preparation) That's fine if it is what they wonted but with a little more money and a little more time looking around to find a quality specimen to purchased of a quality vender Is in my opinion a better bet.