Fossil valuation assistance

srjay936

Hey all,

a new member here and hoping someone on the site can help with estimating the value of a large ammonite I have and wanting to sell for my aging father. I'll post photographs to help if requested. The shell is approximately 27 inches by 22 inches. It was unearthed by my amateur fossil hunting father in Shasta County California in 1972. He has told me that it is one of the largest specimens found in the north state. Any guidance on this is greatly appreciated. Shannon

Hello and welcome to the forum! Unfortunately we are not permitted to do appraisals here on the forum. But we would still love to see the ammonite!:)

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Look for similar items at online fossil dealers or auction sites. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

As fossils are a bit different than other commodities with values pegged to larger market indices and that enjoy some degree of standardization, putting a dollar figure is fairly speculative. My advice would be to poke around the online auction sites and see what similar sized ammonites in a similar condition are being priced at. Ideally, if you knew the species, that would assist in discerning something about its relative scarcity or abundance.

The one thing we can do for you here is help with an identification if you wish to post in our Fossil ID thread. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Thank you for the assistance, I'll take some photos and post them to the fossil ID thread 

Yep, like other forum members have said, just gotta do your homework and you will get an idea of worth. 

RB

Archived