JTCatskills

Winged insect or scales? Or not fauna at all?

JTCatskills

Hi all.  We found this on the rocky Pacific Ocean beaches about 50 miles south of Mendocino, CA.  To my untrained eye it looks like a winged insect or perhaps scales.  Or am I seeing what I want to see? ;)  The photos give dimension and one shot is 7X macro.  Any thoughts or comments are always greatly appreciated!

IMG_3007.jpg

IMG_3017.jpg

IMG_3054.jpg

RyanDye

Yes, an echinoid for sure. The middle pattern makes it a fairly easy to identify. Nice photography new members often have problems with getting clear images making it harder to ID.

JTCatskills

Thank you Virgilian, Fossildude19 and Ryan Dye.  Much appreciated!   And thanks, Ryan, for the compliment on the photogs.  

Coco
17 hours ago, JTCatskills said:

IMG_3054.jpg

I confirm that it is a sea urchin fossil, doubtless an internal mold. What you see there is called interambulacral plates.

Coco

Plantguy

Neat find. We used to find sand dollars from San Fran northward that had a similar preservation. I always liked how the plate outlines were very distinct and showy. Might be the Scutellaster genus that shows up in alot of the Pliocene outcrops.

Regards, Chris

Roberta NJ CA

I have several of these which I found in Northern CA, Pacifica.. Thanks I now know what they are!

Roberta

Roberta NJ CA

Hi all,  speaking of sand dollars, is it true that every sand dollar contains five "dove-like" shells inside.. I've found that to be true (broken many) and if so what are they?

abyssunder
1 hour ago, Roberta NJ CA said:

Hi all,  speaking of sand dollars, is it true that every sand dollar contains five "dove-like" shells inside.. I've found that to be true (broken many) and if so what are they?

The "dove-like" shells inside might be parts of the "Aristotle's lantern", so the mouth region of echinoids. I think, you are referring to the "Pyramids". :)

more details here

LanternBooth.jpg.965082bb8873a0bb0bdd0cbf8d807b8b.jpg

Roberta NJ CA

Yes! I see it... wow that's amazing (and cool!)   Thanks Abyssunder :D