What is it?

Jessika

I'm sure this is a common fossil. I have already browsed through goggle, but cant find it. I found it on the beach of lake Michigan in Michigan. The beach was so crowed with crinoid stems fossils, I didn't even bother collecting them. But I find something long shaped with spikey things on the bottom and the top. it wont let me add pictures.

image1.PNG

image2.PNG

never mind, it added the pictures

the top and the bottom have spikes. both sides have those ridges

1 minute ago, Jessika said:

probably related to these, I also found this

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

Hi Jessika!

I think that what you have here is a worn rugose (horn) coral.

Happy hunting!

Monica

9 hours ago, Jessika said:

That's probably it! Thanks. Sadly everything is worn at the beach.

I feel your pain, Jessika - most of the stuff that I've found in my local creeks is also very worn down. :(  Recently, though, I've tried using a chisel and a sledge hammer to split open large pieces of rock and I've found some nice surprises (bivalves and brachiopods) inside, so you can also try that (if there are any large rocks lying around the area in which you've been hunting).

Good luck!

Monica

10 hours ago, Jessika said:

Sadly everything is worn at the beach.

I live in an area where many specimens can be extracted right from the bedrock. But we also have many streams that have cut through and eroded the hills, taking the fossils with them. I get just as much pleasure from collecting water worn specimens as I do intact fossils.  There is something unique and  beautiful about these nature polished fossils. So look at your situation as being special!!! Most people could not find a crinoid or rugosa coral like yours. Their crinoid stems are a dime a dozen.

Mike

• I found this Informative 1