Scabriscutellum? Moroccan Trilobite

JojoMozza

Hi all,

I've this nice Moroccan trilobite. The seller did not know what genus or species it was. I have an inkling that it is Scabriscutellum, though could be wrong. Can the genus or species be pinpointed?

Thank you!

Jojo

SAM_1041.JPG

Thanks @Ryan Dye It looks very similar, especially the thorax and pygidium. But I don't know about the cephalon. It looks a little different?......I'm not sure.

You're probably right though; may just be the position.

Cheers,

Jojo

SAM_1054.JPG

SAM_1059.JPG

7 minutes ago, JojoMozza said:

Thanks @Ryan Dye It looks very similar, especially the thorax and pygidium. But I don't know about the cephalon. It looks a little different?......I'm not sure.

You're probably right though; may just be the position.

Cheers,

Jojo

SAM_1054.JPG

SAM_1059.JPG

I see what you mean I actually found a couple images that resemble yours even more but, they were all unidentified species. Here's one of them.281433907078.jpg.e347ea9bbd0abbd9edb40b9053c4f105.jpg

rydysig.JPG

Thank you so much @Ryan Dye! I had a look at the  link and the matrix definatley is very similar. The other photo looks almost identical, would you say that it is 100% Scabriscutellum?

It so, I guess I'll have to just label it as Scabriscutellum indet.

Thanks again,

Jojo

3 minutes ago, JojoMozza said:

Thank you so much @Ryan Dye! I had a look at the  link and the matrix definatley is very similar. The other photo looks almost identical, would you say that it is 100% Scabriscutellum?

It so, I guess I'll have to just label it as Scabriscutellum indet.

Thanks again,

Jojo

If even one more person is to agree with me I think that should be enough to completely confirm it.

rydysig.JPG

33 minutes ago, Ryan Dye said:

The matrix in this one resembles your specimen more.

Click Here.

Thats not the colour of the matrix. That colour is just the result of the air scribe hitting it (thats a bad way of explaining it)

• I found this Informative 1

Just now, Foozil said:

Thats not the colour of the matrix. That colour is just the result of the air scribe hitting it (thats a bad way of explaining it)

Ah, thank you but then who's to say the other specimen wasn't air scribed as well? Not that you were trying to disprove me I just wanted to reaffirm my conjecture.

rydysig.JPG

Just now, Ryan Dye said:

Ah, thank you but then who's to say the other specimen wasn't air scribed as well? Not that you were trying to disprove me I just wanted to reaffirm my conjecture.

Well, it was air scribed. Thats the only non time consuming way to prepare those fossils. the matrix is very very hard, and definitely would not have split as easy as, say shale, and still kept the trilobite intact, if that makes sense

2 minutes ago, Foozil said:

Well, it was air scribed. Thats the only non time consuming way to prepare those fossils. the matrix is very very hard, and definitely would not have split as easy as, say shale, and still kept the trilobite intact, if that makes sense

Yep, I was thinking about purchasing one for myself sometime in the next couple of months.

rydysig.JPG

Ah yes, forgot about the air-scribing. Moroccan trilobites; the matrix is very hard - almost like concrete. Do you reckon there has been any restoration?

2 minutes ago, JojoMozza said:

Ah yes, forgot about the air-scribing. Moroccan trilobites; the matrix is very hard - almost like concrete. Do you reckon there has been any restoration?

Again, I'm not very knowledgable in this subject

@piranha might be able to help here

Here is the taxonomic history: Pillet 1972 established the subgenus Scabriscutellum (Cavetia)

In Morocco classified as: Scabriscutellum (Cavetia) furciferum hamlagdadianum Alberti 1981

Pillet, J. (1972)
Les trilobites du Dévonien inférieur et du Dévonien moyen du Sud-Est du Massif armoricain. 
Mémoire de la Société d'études scientifiques de l'Anjou, 1:1-307

IMG1.jpg.631f7734f5ea5e271b5458d2054fbd51.jpg

Alberti, G.K.B. (1981)
Scutelluidae (Trilobita) aus dem Unter-Devon des Hamar Laghdad (Tafilalt, SE-Marokko) und das Alter der "mud-mounds" (Ober-Zlichovium bis tiefstes Dalejum). 
Senckenbergiana Lethaea, 62:193-204

IMG2.jpg.214cdc060a120860018796602534dd1c.jpg

Basse, M. (2012)
Trilobites Africae: Catalogus typorum. 
Fossilium Catalogus I: Animalia, 150:1-311

IMG3.jpg.2605c3f421e260f3a9c683fa2fc18f9a.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png