(Posted in SD forum as well, feel free to move)

I thought this would be an appropriate addition- my hope is that this map will allow forum users to plan trips to SD!

Threw this thing together for you guys in some spare time at work. The map shows the extent of common fossil bearing strata in the state of South Dakota, as well as some "no-go" areas- reservations and the like. If you guys want a certain area zoomed in on let me know!

FossilsSD.pdf

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, Bozark said:

(Posted in SD forum as well, feel free to move)

I thought this would be an appropriate addition- my hope is that this map will allow forum users to plan trips to SD!

Threw this thing together for you guys in some spare time at work. The map shows the extent of common fossil bearing strata in the state of South Dakota, as well as some "no-go" areas- reservations and the like. If you guys want a certain area zoomed in on let me know!

FossilsSD.pdf

Thank you, this is extremely helpful as I have been trying to figure out places to go to in SD and was also wondering where I couldn't go, perfect. :D

A question, on the east river side there are little dots around Sioux Falls what color are those?

• 2 years later...

Nice start, but there are a few glaring omissions.  Almost all of those abundant White River Fm outcrops on the map are within Badlands Nat'l Park and Buffalo Gap National Grassland.  Both are No Collecting zones.  (It is OK to collect inverts on the grasslands, but not verts).  

• I found this Informative 1