Gen. et sp. indet.

A closed tube-like fossil with delicate ornamentation on sides and a weird barbecue-like surface on the apex, with bryozoan epibionts. From a Polish Callovian locality rich in bivalves, brachiopods, and other fossils. Having looked from all sides, I am certain it is not a chimaera but definitely one tube-like shell, with shell continuous (where preserved) from sides to the apex, similar in shape to a belemnite phragmocone.

IMAG0476a.thumb.jpg.0dbfafe4ac13ee44ad25bd83a8f80527.jpg

IMAG0475a.thumb.jpg.ff7b6c855e465968d85696f0ee1a526b.jpg

IMAG0467a.thumb.jpg.59da354cb33f1bfeb42c714a22bf5948.jpg

you were not kidding, that is a weird one!

I will be watching to see what people come up with!

Fascinating, I can't think of anything that shape. Possibly a xenomorphic shell, where photo 2 shows where it has grown against a ribbed bivalve or ammonite?

• I found this Informative 1

Tarquin

15 minutes ago, TqB said:

2 shows where it has grown against a ribbed bivalve

I agree with that statement.

Thanks. I was thinking about an oyster living on some other bivalve, but... why is it shaped like a tube?

EDIT: Here is what the bryozoan might be. I see now that you want to know what the large shell is. A fragment of an oyster where it was attached to a inoceramid like shell with plications is a good  guess.

See this article for a picture of a similiar Polish Callovian bryozoans.

"Callovian (Middle Jurassic) cyclostome bryozoans from the Zalas Quarry, southern Poland"

POSTED ON 2013/11/13 and found at: https://paleoptg.wordpress.com/tag/jurassic/

zaznaczenie_018.png

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Kuphus or serpulid tube with bivalve on it?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

cool bryozoans

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Beautiful example of bioimmuration.  If it doesn't match any oysters you find there it might be a rudist clam since they arose in the late Jurassic .