Reptilian fossil - Real or fake?

Does anybody have any opinions about this? I don't like the look of it at all - where the bone has chipped away, there's red stuff underneath (glue?). This doesn't look like the usual Chinese fakes you see on eBay. This is the only photo available.

reptile2.jpg

The orbits look really comical. The arm doesn't have joints, the sudden transition in the tail verts..... I'd say red flag.

Keep looking! They're everywhere!

Something looks wrong, I can't say what though....

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

For the happiness of the collectors, the forger knows nothing of anatomy, otherwise it would be very laborious and a huge headache, to identify only by photo. Here in my lab, in the past, I've had the opportunity to study 4 chinese fake fossils that fit exactly in this case. This is the purest evolution of an ancient technique of forgery, which began exactly in the year 2013, but which today is infinitely more evolved and if the forger starts to study anatomy, this may give more work in the future.

These false fossils are not produced on a large scale, quite the contrary, each of them is unique, since for this a natural matrix is used, and above it, is modeled with epoxy mass together with a small amount of resin o false fossil. All this is done manually and with great patience. Depending on modeling, it can take up to 2 weeks.. It is a typical forgery and Chinese technique.

When this technique began in the year 2013, everything was very primitive, the Chinese painted around the bones;

657250Prova.png

and at that time, People noticed by now that it was all false, but but it was too late. The Chinese had their pockets full of money already!

And now, 4 years later, with the most advanced technique, they no longer need to paint around the bones:

reptile2.jpg

Now look at the areas I circled in red. In these areas, the locations where the epoxy mass is broken are clearly visible. And the red arrow indicates the mark that the dilute resin left on the rock where it was previously modeled with epoxy mass;

826145Prova.png

And it is precisely with this same technique, with a true Jurassic rock matrix, epoxy mass modeling, with a small amount of resin (12%), that we now have this sea of forgeries that are for sale scattered around the world ... Notem That each of them is unique, all done manually:

430884Prova.png

262936Prova.png

And now, ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the fashion trend 2017 -2018, "frogs", "fruits" and "Pterosaurs"!

829893Prova.png

Now it is more improved, but the technique and materials, remains exactly the same! All we have now, are almost good counterfeiters, who understand the materials they are using, but know little about anatomy;

644751Prova.png

And those who do not understand anything at all;

:blink:

746312Prova.png

And before I forget Aurelius. The red markings are just what is left of the resin that serves to glue the epoxy mass in the true Jurassic matrix. But it does not work! Always break! But I am sure that in the not too distant future, unfortunately, they will get even better materials.

Note: Some groups of Chinese who engage in fossil falsification are accepting donations from Jurassic vertebrate anatomy books, if anyone has books like these at home and would like to donate, please send me a private message. So I give them their address in Hong Kong!

:hearty-laugh:

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

7 hours ago, davej said:

One that makes me chuckle 

IMG_3859.PNG

You may note that the rock matrix is actually true, Cretaceous period and with a true fish fossil of the species Lycoptera davidi (quite common there).

591939Prova.png

A true matrix rock, containing a true fish fossil, will give more credence to a fake that will be made on the same rock.

The fossil they tried to fake here is a sinohydrosaurus. But in this case, the forgery technique is completely different. In the true matrix rock, the reptile is carved in a not very deep (practically just scratched) form, and then paints the sculpted bones with black or brown paint.

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

If nothing else the transverse process on the tail vertebrae are pointing the wrong way.They should angle towards the tip of the tail as seen in the image below.

normal_sacrum.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived