Big difference between an airbrush and air eraser O_o

joshuajbelanger

I have been trying my hand at prepping for a few months now.  Started with some nice air scribes, then tried air abrasion.  I bought a cheap badger airbrush and threw tons of media at fossils.  To me, it seemed that no matter what the pressure or sand agent, I saw absolutely no results.  So, I bought a AEC and had it overnighted, hoping I was just using the wrong tool.  Well, absolutely I was using the wrong tool.  The moment I got the AEC up and running, I finally understood why it's called an air eraser.  Slowly, but surely, the tough dolemite matrix melted away, as if it was being miraculously erased.  HOTDOG!  I thought these calymenid trilos I found in Kentucky were gonna be a wash...but dag nabbit, the details are coming out!  This isn't the final prep, and I don't have any before prep pics, but this is a huge improvement.  This trilo was just showing 1/4 of one side of its body.  I didn't even know if it was fully intact...sure is!  Even pulled out both the eyes.  Super stoked guys.  Level up-points into prep skill.

BAM

IMG_3902.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

Nice man. Thank you for playing guinea pig. I've been wanting to take the plunge now I know. Tell us more as you go. 

• I found this Informative 1

Well, it's a bit different for me.  I have an outside workstation so the total cost of air air abrasion was like 50$.  It's amazing, and I would definitely suggest it to anyone.

Isn't an airbrush a thing that artists and autobody people use to blow paint at things?

33 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

Isn't an airbrush a thing that artists and autobody people use to blow paint at things?

Thats what I thought?:blink:

Well this was my original air eraser...which did nothing.

IMG_3903.PNG

@joshuajbelanger I had one of those Badger units a long time ago. It was junk also. It's marketed as an air abrasive unit but it pushes almost no abrasive.

I had similar results with it and promptly used it to help fill my wastebasket.

@joshuajbelangerand everyone, Is this the AEC you were referring to? I need to go to the next step for prepping (above dremel and dental picks) and would appreciate advice. If it is, what else do I really need? If it is not, what should I get?  Thank you all.  :) 

Leah

IMG_8566.PNG

Yeah, @jewelonly that's the right one!  Although, I wish I would have spent a little extra cash and went with the model with the bigger external cup!  This thing runs out quick!  But man, it's so much better.

@Ptychodus04 yup, it doesn't do squat for abrasion!  Seemed to blow a lot of powder out, but no abrasion, even after I upgraded the tip.

• I found this Informative 2

7 hours ago, jewelonly said:

@joshuajbelangerand everyone, Is this the AEC you were referring to? I need to go to the next step for prepping (above dremel and dental picks) and would appreciate advice. If it is, what else do I really need? If it is not, what should I get?  Thank you all.  :) 

Leah

IMG_8566.PNG

Hi Leah,

Depends on what you are prepping in terms of what your next upgrade should be.

Maybe a good air scribe would be a better all rounder for you?

you will be pleasantly surprised by the difference between an air scribe and an engraver.

18 hours ago, jewelonly said:

Leah

IMG_8566.PNG

That's what I have Leah. You'll need several different abrasives for different hardness of fossils/matrix such as sodium bicarbonate (baking section in your supermarket), dolomite and aluminium oxide (a big auction website). As as has been said you will need to fill up the cup often. You MUST wear lung and eye protection, the abrasives are very small and can cause serious health problems if you don't use the relevant safety equipment. 

You'll also need a compressor to run it, the bigger the better. Mines a 50 litre compressor. Big ones won't need to pressurise air as often saving your neighbours ears. It won't affect you ears as you'll be wearing ear plugs.....

20 hours ago, joshuajbelanger said:

Yeah, @jewelonly that's the right one!  Although, I wish I would have spent a little extra cash and went with the model with the bigger external cup!  This thing runs out quick!  But man, it's so much better.

@joshuajbelanger, Thank you for the info regarding the external cup. :) 

17 hours ago, Doctor Mud said:

Hi Leah,

Depends on what you are prepping in terms of what your next upgrade should be.

Maybe a good air scribe would be a better all rounder for you?

you will be pleasantly surprised by the difference between an air scribe and an engraver.

@Doctor Mud, Thank you for suggesting this. I will research the air scribes as well to see if one of those might work best. :)  

6 hours ago, JohnBrewer said:

That's what I have Leah. You'll need several different abrasives for different hardness of fossils/matrix such as sodium bicarbonate (baking section in your supermarket), dolomite and aluminium oxide (a big auction website). As as has been said you will need to fill up the cup often. You MUST wear lung and eye protection, the abrasives are very small and can cause serious health problems if you don't use the relevant safety equipment. 

You'll also need a compressor to run it, the bigger the better. Mines a 50 litre compressor. Big ones won't need to pressurise air as often saving your neighbours ears. It won't affect you ears as you'll be wearing ear plugs.....

@JohnBrewer John, thank you for the information on the different abrasives and for telling me about the compressor!! I hadn't realized I would need one. :blink:  I will invest in good ear, eye, and lungs protection also. :) 

Not just ear, eye, and lung, I find if I'm not using a full face apr, I get grit in my teeth.  It's like sand in my mouth for hours...that can't be good.  :P

16 hours ago, joshuajbelanger said:

Not just ear, eye, and lung, I find if I'm not using a full face apr, I get grit in my teeth.  It's like sand in my mouth for hours...that can't be good.  :P

I actually use a respirator, they're not really that expensive especially compared to your health!

On 7/24/2017 at 1:40 PM, JohnBrewer said:

I actually use a respirator, they're not really that expensive especially compared to your health!

I fully agree. My respirator has a .3 micron filter and a VOC/acid canister and it was under $40. Much less expensive than a lung transplant in 40 years.

• 3 years later...
On 7/21/2017 at 8:37 PM, joshuajbelanger said:

Well, it's a bit different for me.  I have an outside workstation so the total cost of air air abrasion was like 50$.  It's amazing, and I would definitely suggest it to anyone.

Thank you for sharing!

Edited by FossilAndTreasureHunter