Bison tooth?

Kigiyuk

Found this on the beach today. Located in Nome, Alaska, right on the Bering Sea. No bovines to be found here.IMG_0655.thumb.JPG.4ecc409de0b5ef5f7fb4310a84448f0c.JPGIMG_0654.thumb.JPG.a28b808dd846c3addfddf7db032e2ae1.JPG

I believe this is a bison tooth mainly because it has a stylid. 

This post might help you as well. 

I'm no expert but I've found several horse teeth in creeks and on the beach that look just like that.

Hello from Maryland, in the far north reaches of the world, bovids rarely make a home. I'm guessing that previously someone brought a cow up there, possibly trying to raise them for meat. Maybe during the gold rush this could have happened. One possible but extremely unlikely explaination is that it was thrown off a ship in the Bering, maybe as throw away bits from a head. A probably explaination, is someone was butchering a cow and threw away the skull, probably somewhere not far from the beach, and the tooth dislodged and was swept to the beach. I hope this helps, and that you find out the rest of this specimens history!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Musk ox teeth picture, found online, they seem to lack a stylid.

IMG_2249.JPG

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Archived