Reptile egg audacity

We've all laughed before at the nodules/concretions sold as eggs on popular auction sites, either by the ignorant or deceitful. However, most of the things I've seen advertised previously have been at least moderately egg-shaped. Not so with these stunning examples, which tend more towards being rock-shaped.

5972b11e5e7ea_s-l500(1).jpg.1475190cc9f4697931fcd6b5a2f2b31b.jpg s-l500.jpg.13c4d63f1c0bdac492bc2480699556d9.jpg

I can only imagine how valuable these ordinary rocks - the exceptional colour and beauty of which are plain to see - were to the native Americans. I think it is a reasonable conjecture that they kept their favourite ordinary rocks in some sort of display cabinet, or possibly locked away in some kind of safe, to negate the risk of theft. I can now only marvel that these beautiful ordinary rocks have survived intact, and were not made into grinding stones, carved into bows and arrows, thrown at buffalo, or used to prop up tables on uneven surfaces.

Edited by Fossildude19
Remove identifying quote.

That's one for the books, Native American reptile eggs grinding stone. Woah, I just stumbled upon a fossilized cow udder, complete with fossilized milk, surprising, the neanderthals normally milked their cows.....

18 minutes ago, The Speeding Carno said:

Those are actually Feathered Mammoth eggs ;). It really is a quite a rare find!

I laugh to think of the people that look up "feathered mammoth" after reading that....

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Oh boy.....

points for imagination, but hopefully no money for these dubious specimens.

I've realized that all of you do not know the theory of mutant cloaca!

It should be very sore!:hearty-laugh:

Prova.PNG

• I found this Informative 3

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

An admin edited my initial post, removing a quote from the seller, which had the unfortunate side-effect of making me appear to be borderline mental.

Just for the sake of clarity, the seller made the incredible claim that these exquisitely beautiful reptile eggs were highly prized by Native Americans, and went onto make the possibly contradictory claim that most of the ones he found had been used as grinding stones.

• I found this Informative 1

Let's face it ,anyone occupying him/herself with fossils is "borderline mental":dinosmile:

1 hour ago, doushantuo said:

Let's face it ,anyone occupying him/herself with fossils is "borderline mental":dinosmile:

Can I get a t-shirt with that?:D

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, RandyB said:

The most alarming part is there are currently 11 bids

Make that 12 bids. I'll put that beauty right next to my collection of fossilized unicorn wishbones

• I found this Informative 1

20 hours ago, Aurelius said:

We've all laughed before at the nodules/concretions sold as eggs on popular auction sites, either by the ignorant or deceitful. However, most of the things I've seen advertised previously have been at least moderately egg-shaped. Not so with these stunning examples, which tend more towards being rock-shaped.

5972b11e5e7ea_s-l500(1).jpg.1475190cc9f4697931fcd6b5a2f2b31b.jpg s-l500.jpg.13c4d63f1c0bdac492bc2480699556d9.jpg

I can only imagine how valuable these ordinary rocks - the exceptional colour and beauty of which are plain to see - were to the native Americans. I think it is a reasonable conjecture that they kept their favourite ordinary rocks in some sort of display cabinet, or possibly locked away in some kind of safe, to negate the risk of theft. I can now only marvel that these beautiful ordinary rocks have survived intact, and were not made into grinding stones, carved into bows and arrows, thrown at buffalo, or used to prop up tables on uneven surfaces.

Awww, they're having a cuddle in the bottom pic. How sweet.