Hello from the coal fields of eastern Kentucky!

keith lawson

Hello. My name is Keith.  I have collected fossils in eastern Kentucky for over 20 years. I'll never forget the first fern I found at age 7. I am currently studying to become a geologist.   I am glad I ran across this site. I look forward to viewing other members galleries. I will be adding photos of some amazing fossils I have collected.  It will be mostly plant fossils, with the occasional marine fossil. 

I will include, in this post, pics of a recent find. It is a large shale slab with the most amazing Calamite foliage (asterophyllite) fossils I have ever collected.  It is quite a specimen! I have researched, and cannot find anything of its type that even comes close to its size and beauty. The slab is about one foot thick and, being shale, consists of mulitple layers of vegetation. Usually, when I find a large chunk of shale, I split every single layer open. But not this one. I am keeping it intact, in order to preserve the top layer with the beautiful Asterophyllite fossils. It pains me because, I know the other layers hold beautiful treasures too! 

IMG_0324.thumb.JPG.9f756902cf5d613e0f33f4dc20c7bd53.JPG

IMG_0325.JPG

IMG_0334.JPG

IMG_0330.JPG

IMG_0332.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

Welcome to the forum from central Maryland, that is a beautiful specimen!:envy:

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Wow! That's a keeper. Got any more of this stuff? .... :D

I agree, you don't want to do anything to risk ruining this piece. Don't coat it with anything either, just keep it sheltered in your house.

Hopefully you've got a lot more rock to break to find more at that site.

Welcome to the Forum, Keith. :) 

Amazing piece you have there. :wub: 

Can't wait to see more of your finds. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Wow, that piece truly makes for a grand entrance! 

Welcome to the Forum - you are certainly in the right place. :)

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

beautiful specimens!Welcome to the FF

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Amazing...
Welcome to the Forum! :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Welcome, Keith!  Full marks for retaining that slab as is.  I completely understand that 'pain' in doing so, it's soooo hard to not delve further, but that is amazing and gorgeous already. 

Welcome to the forum from New York! That is a truly beautiful specimen!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Welcome to the forum from north central Alabama, Keith!! That is a gorgeous piece!! :) 

Leah

Welcome to the Fossil Forum from the Hudson Valley, NY. That slab sure is a beaut! The detail is absolutely exquisite. Can't wait to see more.