Curious encapsulated creature

vintagecardguy

Found this interesting piece while rock hounding my favorite spot in Nova Scotia.

I thought it was the back half of a small fish at first but then I noticed it appears to have a leg coming off one side and the tail seems to be pointed.

Any ideas what I have here? Could it be a tetrapod? I have other pics but I could only attach 1. The rock is about 1 inch long and  3/4 of an inch wide.

fossil2.jpg

fossil 3.jpg

fossil4.jpg

fossil5.jpg

fossil.jpg

fossil7.jpg

fossil8.jpg

Yes, definitely post more pictures. The maximum per post to upload is 3.95 MB. You can always hit refresh on your browser and try again if it doesn't allow you a reply post.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

8 minutes ago, vintagecardguy said:

Doesn't seem to work. Should I make new topics and try that way or maybe scale down the size of the original and add more?

Welcome to TFF!

Make sure of the file size and post the pictures in a reply post.

PS The original picture is not showing up. Clear the picture out and try to load it again. You can do this by going to "edit" at the bottom of Your post then delete the existing file.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Thanks for the welcome. I deleted the original because it was taking up all of the 3.95 MB. I added several new pics. Are they showing up for you? On closer inspection the back end could possibly be flat like a fish tail fin but its difficult to get a good view of it from that side.

Just seeing a mineral specimen(possibly agate or other quartz type) with inclusions.

...I'm back.

8 minutes ago, Raggedy Man said:

Just seeing a mineral specimen(possibly agate or other quartz type) with inclusions.

Same here.

Tarquin

Hmm. Thanks for the input. Total amateur here and I was in fact hunting for rocks, not fossils but this location is between Blue beach and the Joggins cliffs on the Fundy coast which are both quite rich fossil areas. The top photo appears to show a fin with a pattern. I will probably bring it to the Blue beach fossil museum just to see what they think.

A really interesting shape of inclusion, but it's difficult to see details in the photos. Let us know what you hear from your local museum!

It is a piece of agate. The color is from impurities in the structure of the agate. This type of agate often has the appearance of an animal in the way the banding is shaped. It is not a fossil.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Thanks for all the replies. I stopped at the Blue beach fossil museum and showed the specimen to Chris. He said it is indeed an agate. It looks so strange under magnification. It is a pretty cool piece. Sorry for the misleading post...

No need for an apology. The pictures look very intriguing. I'm glad you were able to get a definitive id to that given by members here. Collecting a beautiful  agate is still a successful rock hounding day in my book!:) 

Archived