Museum of Ancient Life

Fossil-Hound

Convinced my wife and her family to visit the Museum of Natural History in Lehi, Utah a mere twenty minute drive from my parent-in-laws. This place is amazing and I would highly recommend the trip. I'm posting some pictures now and more later.

IMG_0831.JPG

The view when you first walk in is breathtaking.

IMG_0832.JPG

Massive Quetzalcoatlus above.

IMG_0833.JPG

One of my personal favorites is in the main lobby. A complete Dunkleostus head that has been repaired. Largest armored Placoderm of the Devonian.

IMG_0834.JPG

A closeup of the Dunkleostus.

IMG_0836.JPG

This one is for @GeschWhat

IMG_0837.JPG

Really neat fossils. There's a set of pyritized brachiopods towards the top that looked really good. Belemnites, coprolite, and a fish from Wyoming.

IMG_0838.JPG

Hey it's me! I wish...

IMG_0839.JPG

Really need display of modern paleontologists.

IMG_0840.JPG

I would do anything to dig up a dinosaur of that magnitude.

IMG_0841.JPG

There's a nice Estwing hammer in the middle.

IMG_0842.JPG

One of my favorite parts of the museum is the fossil lab. I had the chance to walk through it a few years ago and will never forget the experience.

IMG_0843.JPG

A Sauropod the team has been working on from Utah.

IMG_0844.JPG

A completed segment of the Sauropod.

IMG_0845.JPG

Sauropod heel. This was massive.

IMG_0846.JPG

Really neat to see all the completed fossils from the laboratory.

IMG_0847.JPG

There's a real live paleontologist! Masked his face to for anonymity.

IMG_0848.JPG

He was working on that vertebrae under the light.

IMG_0909.JPG

Massive Xiphactinus recreation. So glad those aren't around in our lakes and rivers anymore.

IMG_0910.JPG

Giant Diatryma recreation. It's hard to believe these massive carnivorous birds where once the apex predators of the Eocene. The age of the man eating turkeys! Well man wasn't around then but if they were then we would be in trouble.

IMG_0911.JPG

Description of the Diatryma.

IMG_0912.JPG

Another favorite was a recreation of the Megalodon. No museum is complete without one of these.

IMG_0913.JPG

Really brings back memories from Calvert Cliffs. Oh how I am starting to miss Maryland.

IMG_0914.JPG

Great White recreation. Notice the bloated look.

IMG_0915.JPG

Neat description of C. carcharias.

IMG_0916.JPG

One of the ten largest Megalodon teeth ever found.

IMG_0917.JPG

I believe the C. auriculatus are also referred to as Otodus subserratus

IMG_0918.JPG

A personal favorite from the east coast is Hemipristis serra.

IMG_0919.JPG

Another excellent tooth and a favorite of @gavialboy

IMG_0920.JPG

Edestus heinrichi

IMG_0923.JPG

Another personal favorite is the Turritella.

IMG_0924.JPG

Massive Turritella conglomerates.

IMG_0925.JPG

@RJB this one was taken with you in mind. That's a beauty.

IMG_0929.JPG

Top view of a beautiful crab.

IMG_0930.JPG

Fuzzy picture of sea urchin fossils (Echinoderm). Related to starfish and crinoids.

IMG_0931.JPG

C. giganteum

IMG_0932.JPG

IMG_0933.JPG

A little baby mammoth. So cute.

IMG_0934.JPG

IMG_0927.JPG

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

IMG_0860.JPG

This is a Cambrian-Devonian sea. The Spyroceras and other cephalopods (ammonites) are neat.

IMG_0861.JPG

Massive Dunkleostus. That's my wife in the background. Sorry for the blur.

IMG_0862.JPG

@Darktooth did you donate this one?! ;-)

IMG_0863.JPG

Diplomystus and some other beauties from Wyoming. Pretty sure these were all dug up by @sseth and @FossilDudeCO 

IMG_0864.JPG

Some Carboniferous plants dug up by @Fossildude19 and @drobare ;-)

IMG_0865.JPG

Where's the Cooksonia?! ;-)

IMG_0866.JPG

And of course this one was donated by @Ludwigia even though it says it's from Mexico. ;-)

IMG_0867.JPG

About a foot in diameter.

IMG_0868.JPG

Very neat Cetacean.

IMG_0869.JPG

An assortment of marine fossils.

IMG_0870.JPG

Two halves of a large Ammonite. Not sure what species.

IMG_0871.JPG

More beauties from @Ludwigia home land.

IMG_0852.JPG

Models of stromatolites. Scientists attribute these organisms to our atmosphere. Supposedly over billions of years they pumped oxygen into our atmosphere and they are one of the oldest organisms on earth.

IMG_0853.JPG

Some amazing looking trilobites. Many of these were from Morocco.

IMG_0854.JPG

Cast of an Eldredgeop rana plate. :wub:

IMG_0855.JPG

The diversity of trilobites is a sight to below.

48 minutes ago, The Speeding Carno said:

Oooooh, looks interesting!

It's amazing. I just added some captions.

@Fossil-Hound Thanks for sharing pics from this wonderful museum. Looks like a great place to visit. And no I didn't donate that trilo. If I found that I would have kept it!:)

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

1 hour ago, Darktooth said:

@Fossil-Hound Thanks for sharing pics from this wonderful museum. Looks like a great place to visit. And no I didn't donate that trilo. If I found that I would have kept it!:)

LOL. Yes and I would have kept it as well. :muahaha:

Thanks for sharing. Looks like a great place to visit. I just wonder what paleontologists used a deck of cards for in the field :headscratch:

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Thats quite the museum.  Lots of stuff.   That top crab is Harpactocarcinus from Italy, I think?  I have a couple of those somewhere?   Thanks for all the pictures. 

RB

That looks like a very nice museum. Thanks for the photos.

But I think they need to update some of their labels. Diatryma is a junior synonym of Gastornis. And Cerithium giganteum should be Campanile giganteum.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

1 hour ago, LordTrilobite said:

That looks like a very nice museum. Thanks for the photos.

But I think the need to update some of their labels. Diatryma is a junior synonym of Gastornis. And Cerithium giganteum should be Campanile giganteum.

I agree. They also had Sand Tiger shark teeth labeled as Barracuda. That's false.

Ah, i remember going there a few months ago. I also decided to take a picture of everything wrong in the museum (in the marine reptile and shark field, since thats all im good at) For some reason, I just want to list them all-

-In the paleozoic section, there was a megalodon tooth on the wall identified as "Procarcharodon megalodon". Is using a synonym that nessesary?

-In the triassic section, it said that nothosaurs are only a few inches long and grow to and exceptional of 2 feet. Then how are they labeled as ferocious predators?

-In the jurassic section, they said that mosasaurs were the dominant predators of the jurassic, and said that a picture of one is on the right side of this mural. But that same mural showed a liopleurodon instead.

-It says that Tylosaurus proriger lived only 66 mya, but fossil evidence shows they lived from santonian (conacian too?)-campanian. But thats an understandably common mistake.

-Sand tiger teeth identified as barracuda teeth.

-Great white was labeled as endangered.

-Megalodon was labeled as "up to 70 feet", although thats a rare exceptional size. Plus, it used the Carcharodon theory and claimed it a direct ancestor of the gws.

-The modern sand tiger shark was incorrectly depicted as a lamnidae-like build.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

13 hours ago, Macrophyseter said:

Ah, i remember going there a few months ago. I also decided to take a picture of everything wrong in the museum (in the marine reptile and shark field, since thats all im good at) For some reason, I just want to list them all-

-In the paleozoic section, there was a megalodon tooth on the wall identified as "Procarcharodon megalodon". Is using a synonym that nessesary?

-In the triassic section, it said that nothosaurs are only a few inches long and grow to and exceptional of 2 feet. Then how are they labeled as ferocious predators?

-In the jurassic section, they said that mosasaurs were the dominant predators of the jurassic, and said that a picture of one is on the right side of this mural. But that same mural showed a liopleurodon instead.

-It says that Tylosaurus proriger lived only 66 mya, but fossil evidence shows they lived from santonian (conacian too?)-campanian. But thats an understandably common mistake.

-Sand tiger teeth identified as barracuda teeth.

-Great white was labeled as endangered.

-Megalodon was labeled as "up to 70 feet", although thats a rare exceptional size. Plus, it used the Carcharodon theory and claimed it a direct ancestor of the gws.

-The modern sand tiger shark was incorrectly depicted as a lamnidae-like build.

Did you bring this all to the attention of the museum administration?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

suprisingly, there was NO staff in the museum when i visited (i mean, what the heck. I could have just swiped some rare piece outta there and get away with it. Apparently, I visited during a time when everyone else was at school, so i was suprisingly the only one there lol.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

On 7/23/2017 at 7:57 AM, RJB said:

Thats quite the museum.  Lots of stuff.   That top crab is Harpactocarcinus from Italy, I think?  I have a couple of those somewhere?   Thanks for all the pictures. 

RB

I believe you are correct. I remember seeing a crab sign indicating the specimen was of Italian origin.

• 1 year later...
On 26/7/2017 at 5:56 PM, Fossil-Hound said:

I believe you are correct. I remember seeing a crab sign indicating the specimen was of Italian origin.

No, that's not an Harpactocarcinus, it's an Harpactoxanthopsis quadrilobata, here is a picture of one of mine. The second picture is an Harpactocarcinus, even if looks very damaged.

20180805_215130.png

3 hours ago, glu said:

No, that's not an Harpactocarcinus, it's an Harpactoxanthopsis quadrilobata, here is a picture of one of mine. The second picture is an Harpactocarcinus, even if looks very damaged.

20180805_215130.png

Regardless of the species it’s a really nice crab.

Archived