FOTM badge feature suggestion!

MeargleSchmeargl

One of my favourite things to do on TFF is to linger around on FOTM, watching the entries and winners come forth, and the same with FOTY. Outside FOTM boards, the only reference are the badges winners get for them.

Sometimes I try to see what golden find got them the win out of curiosity, yet to no avail do to the sheer amount of winners over the years. :blink:

To make finding these treasures of FOTMs past easier so that more people can appreciate these finds, the badges for FOTM on your profile page should provide a link to their spot in the winner's gallery and/or the thread that declared them winner. Anyone agree?

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

6 minutes ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

One of my favourite things to do on TFF is to linger around on FOTM, watching the entries and winners come forth, and the same with FOTY. Outside FOTM boards, the only reference are the badges winners get for them.

Sometimes I try to see what golden find got them the win out of curiosity, yet to no avail do to the sheer amount of winners over the years. :blink:

To make finding these treasures of FOTMs past easier so that more people can appreciate these finds, the badges for FOTM on your profile page should provide a link to their spot in the winner's gallery and/or the thread that declared them winner. Anyone agree?

It would be great if it was possible - great suggestion. :dinothumb:

Im not sure how the software works.

If it turns out to be too complicated, and in the meantime, go to a members profile and scroll down to "Rank"

This will have the month of the win for fossil of the month and year for fossil of the year.

If it's possible, that would be great! I totally agree with you:dinothumb:

Lets hope the admins make this work  

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

4 hours ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

4 hours ago, Doctor Mud said:

It would be great if it was possible - great suggestion. :dinothumb:

Im not sure how the software works.

If it turns out to be too complicated, and in the meantime, go to a members profile and scroll down to "Rank"

This will have the month of the win for fossil of the month and year for fossil of the year.

3 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

If it's possible, that would be great! I totally agree with you:dinothumb:

Lets hope the admins make this work  

This is already available in the Find of the Month Winner's Gallery, pinned under the Fossil of the Month Forum. ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 hour ago, Fossildude19 said:

This is already available in the Find of the Month Winner's Gallery, pinned under the Fossil of the Month Forum. ;) 

I know, but what I was wondering was about a feature that would take someone right to someone's spot there via link on someone's profile. That way we can better remember who found what.

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

6 minutes ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

I know, but what I was wondering was about a feature that would take someone right to someone's spot there via link on someone's profile. That way we can better remember who found what.

I think it pretty much nearly does that already - but only for FOTY. If you click on the badge, it will bring you to a page with that member's awards. If they have a FOTY listing there, it will not only list the name of the species, but it will link to the pinned page on our thread.

Integrating that feature for FOTM similar to FOTY is certainly something we can consider.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

53 minutes ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

I guess I just don't understand why it needs to be in two places?   :headscratch:

The FOTM Winner's Gallery already shows the pictures, and lists the winning member:headscratch::headscratch:

It can be done, with a ton of work, from one of our volunteer Admin/Moderating team... just not sure it's necessary. :unsure: 

Honestly, I spend way too much time on the Forum as is, just with the day to day stuff - just ask my wife! :P 

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

1 hour ago, Kane said:

I think it pretty much nearly does that already - but only for FOTY. If you click on the badge, it will bring you to a page with that member's awards. If they have a FOTY listing there, it will not only list the name of the species, but it will link to the pinned page on our thread.

Integrating that feature for FOTM similar to FOTY is certainly something we can consider.

Yeah, that's what I meant, @Fossildude19. 'scuse me if I didn't seem clear. :wacko:

2 hours ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

Yeah, that's what I meant, @Fossildude19. 'scuse me if I didn't seem clear. :wacko:

Again, ... I still don't see the point of having it accessible two different ways. :headscratch:

I mean, would it be a bit more convenient? Maybe.  

But is it worth the trouble of going to each winner from the past 10 years, ...  and creating a link from their badge to the Winning entry? 

Especially when the information is really already available? :unsure: :headscratch:

We'll discuss this amongst the Admin/Moderation team, and decide if this is a necessary step. ;) 

I think it is fine the way it is, and see no need for the Administrators or moderators to have to change it. They have better things to do.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

If the winners of the award were to post a link to the 'Winners' announcement to their profile feed....

This would crowd-source the job, accomplish it in a way that we know will not conflict with the delicate program, and increase views (and maybe profile comments).:)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Just now, Auspex said:

If the winners of the award were to post a link to the 'Winners' announcement to their profile feed....

This would crowd-source the job, accomplish it in a way that we know will not conflict with the delicate program, and increase views (and maybe profile comments).:)

Or, optionally, include it as a link in their signature. :)

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

4 minutes ago, Kane said:

Or, optionally, include it* as a link in their signature. :)

Aye Laddie, that's the ticket!
*("It", or "them", as is the case in some instances...)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

42 minutes ago, Auspex said:

39 minutes ago, Kane said:

Yeah. It'll be incredibly convenient to find as opposed to scrolling through the numerous pages of the winner's gallery. Keep the good thinking! :dinothumb:

On 7/23/2017 at 2:12 PM, MeargleSchmeargl said:

Yeah. It'll be incredibly convenient to find as opposed to scrolling through the numerous pages of the winner's gallery. Keep the good thinking! :dinothumb:

There are actually only 5 pages to scroll through. ;) 

Not too much of a burden, I would think. :) 

On 7/23/2017 at 11:40 AM, Auspex said:

Aye Laddie, that's the ticket!
*("It", or "them", as is the case in some instances...)

@TqB should not do this as the system may fail.

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

On 7/23/2017 at 10:31 AM, Kane said:

On 7/23/2017 at 10:28 AM, Auspex said:

This would crowd-source the job, accomplish it in a way that we know will not conflict with the delicate program, and increase views (and maybe profile comments)

I done went and did that.....

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

12 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Less burden than visiting each member's profile to find these treasures. ;)

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

16 minutes ago, PFOOLEY said:

@TqB should not do this as the system may fail.

:blush::D

18 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Always fun and informative too. :)

Tarquin

@Auspex,, so glad and happy to see you again!!!  I have missed you buddy!!!  Sooooo glad you are doing better.   and besides all that, how about if I was to miraculously win, there would be a $10,000 prize?   ha!!!  :)

RB

Archived