Fossil photography help

izak_

Hello!

I have a fish i'm trying to take photos of, and they always come out blurry and the lighting is horrible. Its quite hard to do when the fossil is the same colour as the rest of the rock. 

Any tips? I know I'm being kinda vague and I don't really know how much you guys would be able to help :wacko:. If you need any more info in order to help, just let me know.

Thanks 

Try taking the pictures outside, in natural daylight. 

You could also try to submerge it in water, and photograph it.

The other factor that cause blur are shaky hands. Try to use a tripod or some sort of support system, so you are not holding the camera/phone.

Good luck. :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I would guess that you are too close. Your lens has a minimum focal distance, that is critical. Try outdoor light (watch out for shadows) and back off a little. (Your camera's/lens' manual will list a minimum focal distance as a guide). Now if you find the image of the fossil too small in the final image - crop it . Depending on your camera sensor's capability extreme cropping may be possible. Good luck, have fun.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Along with the good advice from Snolly and Tim, I would add that sometimes side lighting can bring out details.

Also if the subject is monochromatic, placing an object of opposite color in the framing can help to offset washout in the final picture.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

7 hours ago, Foozil said:

Hello!

I have a fish i'm trying to take photos of, and they always come out blurry and the lighting is horrible. Its quite hard to do when the fossil is the same colour as the rest of the rock. 

Any tips? I know I'm being kinda vague and I don't really know how much you guys would be able to help :wacko:. If you need any more info in order to help, just let me know.

Thanks 

Show us some examples of your best 'fails'.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

If the matrix and fossil is relatively flat you'd be hard pushed to get a better image than from a flatbed scanner. Decent light, no camera shake and light coming in from an angle. :)

Archived