revasius

Can anyone assist in and ID for the attached image? It was found on Caspersen Beach in Venice Florida. The area is rich in marine fossils in the Miocene time frame. 

IMG_4768.JPG

1 hour ago, ynot said:

Looks like a few concretions that have been cemented together.

I wonder how they cement in that shape do you know the process in which this occurs? I agree as well. 

rydysig.JPG

1 hour ago, Ryan Dye said:

I wonder how they cement in that shape do you know the process in which this occurs? I agree as well. 

This could be the interior of a single concretion. The gaps represent cracks or septaria. These can form by shrinking of the sediment by dewatering and mineral replacement during diagenesis.

It looks like a septarian nodule/concretion, to me, with the calcite walls eroded away.
Here's one of the pictures that speak for themselves.

3588113_original.thumb.jpg.b9ba2f71c086a1934513246ab1a66b4d.jpgIMG_4768.JPG.aa03a8cd533a2faf74c10fe298c8b5a4.thumb.JPG.979e938b96065cc366b8d5efc2607c4e.JPG

picture from here

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

• 3 weeks later...

I find the same thing pretty frequently in the venice area. I have asked around, but never gotten a definitive answer on what they are. 

4 minutes ago, JustinFL said:

I find the same thing pretty frequently in the venice area. I have asked around, but never gotten a definitive answer on what they are. 

Start a thread and post pictures, We will let You know what You have.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Archived