What is this tooth? Found on beach on Eastern Shore of MD

Kyle Gerson

I found this awesome tooth today by accident in about 4-5 feet of water at Betterton Beach on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. It is about 2 1/8" long and very thin, like a needle tooth. On the bottom of the tooth, near its pointed end, there is some serration, and the point itself seems to have a small plate or point extending at the bottom of it. This is my first tooth I have ever found on a beach, and despite my research and fair knowledge of shark teeth, the question of whether this tooth is a fossil and what it belongs to has stumped me. Perhaps one of you could help me out?

PS: This is my first post on Fossil Forum, and I'd like to say hi to you guys, and I'm hoping you have an idea on what this is! :)

PPS: Is this tooth AWESOME, or what? B)

DSCN6306.JPG

DSCN6307.JPG

DSCN6308.JPG

DSCN6309.JPG

Welcome to the forum.  Rather than a tooth, you have a fish spine.  Probably recent.

• I found this Informative 2

So is this a part of the spine of the fish, or is it a spine like a pufferfish spine? Either way, it's very cool. What kind of fish may it have belonged to? I appreciate the help.

Yup, either a dorsal fin spine or a pectoral fin spine. ;) 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Looks like there's barbs near the end, I would suspect possibly catfish or carp

• I found this Informative 1

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

3 minutes ago, jcbshark said:

Looks like there's barbs near the end, I would suspect possibly catfish or carp

That's just what it is:  An ocean catfish pectoral spine.

• I found this Informative 4

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

2 hours ago, Ryan Dye said:

... however it's usually difficult to classify any further then "fish" with that much bone. 

To the contrary, fin spines are frequently identifiable, as was the case with this specimen.

Don

• I found this Informative 3

3 hours ago, Ryan Dye said:

... it's usually difficult to classify any further then "fish" with that much bone. 

Listen and learn, Grasshopper. There is much to know; take the time to know it :)

Please understand that an erroneous comment made here, and left uncontested, will be read by thousands of people, some of whom will take it as true. Best to stick with what you know and have verified, or to ask your thought as a question ("Is it usually difficult to classify any further than "fish" with just that much bone?").

• I found this Informative 14

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Catfish dorsal spine.

Here is an example of dorsal spine of a siluriformes Hypostomus sp. :

Fig-3-Hypostomus-sp-MFA-PV-1542-proximal-fragment-of-dorsal-spine-in-lateral-A.png.9b42e80818bbf54d63fe5ec0d350e124.png

Fig. 3. Hypostomus sp. (MFA-PV 1542) proximal fragment of dorsal spine in lateral (A), medial (B), and anterior (C) views and details of articular region in medial view (D); proximal fragment of right pectoral spine (MFA-PV 1562) in dorsal (E), ventral (F), and medial (G) views. Hypostomus commersoni pectoral spine (H) modified from Bisbal & Gómez (1986). Abbreviations: ant. pr, anterior process; art.f, articular foramen; art.g, articular groove; d.pr, dorsal process; l.s, longitudinal sulcus; md.pr, medial process. Scale bars: 10 mm.   

excerpt from here

Edited by abyssunder
  • I found this Informative 5

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

1 hour ago, Auspex said:

Listen and learn, Grasshopper. There is much to know; take the time to know it :)

Please understand that an erroneous comment made here, and left uncontested, will be read by thousands of people, some of whom will take it as true. Best to stick with what you know and have verified, or to ask your thought as a question ("Is it usually difficult to classify any further than "fish" with just that much bone?").

Wish I could give more than one "informative" for that one Chas!!!!

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

18 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

To the contrary, fin spines are frequently identifiable, as was the case with this specimen.

Don

My bad.

rydysig.JPG

18 hours ago, Auspex said:

Got it.

rydysig.JPG

Not a tooth. It's a spine.

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.