BobWill

Some of us with the Dallas Paleontological Society have decided to initiate a group dedicated to learning more about the Pennsylvanian Period fossils from the Finis Shale member of the Graham Formation found at the Lost creek Dam site near Jacksboro Texas. We hope to meet at a place and time convenient to everyone.  You can participate in person or follow our progress online through the DPS website.

Go to the home page at dallaspaleo.org  to see how to get your name added to the list if you want to join us at the meetings. Please forward this to anyone you know who isn't a member and might be interested. We will begin making plans about when and where to meet with the list of names we have gathered as of August 16th and all decide together what our group will try to achieve when we have our first meeting.

There are some things found at the site that are not thoroughly understood, not fully researched or can be difficult to distinguish from similar specimens. We may decide to include topics from other Pennsylvanian sites in the area. We already have help promised from some prominent experts so surely we can learn something new or at least identify possible avenues of investigation for someone interested in taking on a project.

Hi Bob,

As delighted as I would be to participate in person, the distance between Dallas and northern Georgia does pose somewhat of a barrier.  Still the project sounds interesting and I'd like to help if I can.  I have some familiarity with the correlated fauna in New Mexico.  

Don

11 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

Hi Bob,

As delighted as I would be to participate in person, the distance between Dallas and northern Georgia does pose somewhat of a barrier.  Still the project sounds interesting and I'd like to help if I can.  I have some familiarity with the correlated fauna in New Mexico.  

Don

Thanks Don. If you want I'll put you on the list of people to solicit an opinion from when we run into barriers or can't form a consensus on something. Royal Mapes and other academics have offered to lend a hand long-distance too. PM me your email if you're interested. I already have 40 some folks signed up in two days and we're talking to University of Texas at Dallas about using their facilities to meet. I knew there was some interest in solving some of the Finis mysteries but I had no idea it would be this many!

Archived