A Fossil Find From The Weekend And A New Creation

silverphoenix

Well I didnt get to do much of any fossil/shark tooth hunting this weekend...my girlfriend wouldn't let me look for any because she would rather me focus my attention on her :faint: Anyways, a little hunting would have been nice, but the most I could go for was a swift walk on the beach. I found this fossilized fish skull cap on the beach.

P1000896.jpg

P1000897.jpg

I also got locked out of my own house in the 100 degree heat today for 4 hours...so I had some time on my hands and decided to make a smaller, more portable sifter for light duty collecting.

P1000892.jpg

P1000893.jpg

P1000894.jpg

Chase - the strainer looks good. I'll show you what I have that is a combo scoop and strainer!

Good idea, but in application it doesn't work quite as well as I would like, but is still better than nothing.

Works best in the sand and not so well in gravel beds...

Post a pic of your rabbit skull again.

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

Hey, those are cool. You've got to get her interested. Maybe a nice shark tooth necklace.... :P

100 degrees.... Yikes.... lol.... I think i must be part eskimo.... no way could i cope with that heat.... and nice work on the sifter....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

The real question is how you got locked out?? She get mad and lock you out for fossil hunting?? Or you forget the keys ;)

My wife isnt a big fan of fossil hunting, but everytime see goes with me it seems she finds the better stuff.

Guest solius symbiosus
Thats cool, is or was that a minnow bucket to start with?

That is what we call them up here in "Caintuck". Nifty ideal though, huh?

Cool find (it looks like an arrowhead) and great idea for the strainer. Now you just have to test it to make sure it will hold up.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

I got locked out of the house while taking my dog's kennel pan out to wash off after he had soiled it...

The sifter is based off of my original design that I collect microfossil matrix with. The only difference is that the smaller sifter can be hung by a stake on the wall I'm working and though it doesn't have the load capacity or 2 part screen system as my original, it's just very easy to handle. This sifter will probably be used mainly to "test" sites to make sure that the fossil matrix is rich in fossils and to see what kind of fossils are in there--each site is slightly different. Here's a picture of both of them. My original design is proven and has not shown any signs of wear, even through the rigorous sifting it's had to do.

P1000898.jpg

P1000899.jpg

Dito on the cool find. B)

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

One of the nicest skull caps I have seen in a long time from here.

100 degree heat must have been during the cool spell the news said we or having

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Archived