Show off your favourite finds!

MeargleSchmeargl

Just now, Foozil said:

Awesome finds, congrats!

Thanks! Yours are cooler though :) Plus they're in a museum now, which is even cooler!

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

3 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

PPS. I just did a quick bit of research and discovered that by the heteromorphs the size doesn't necessarily differ all that much but that the main difference is the thickness of the body chamber. Just learned something new.

Roger, my understanding of heteromorph sexual dimorphism is gracile vs robust rather than extreme difference in size (which thankfully agrees with your statement above). :P

Edited by Ptychodus04
Autocorrect strikes again.

https://pubs.usgs.gov/pp/0619/report.pdf

Scaphitids and it does(maybe only marginally) touch on the subject of dimorphism 

Taxonomy:might be outdated(i think i posted some Landman(on scaphitids), a while back

Tajika et al have noted(PeerJ,sept. 2015) :

"The results of a series of statistical tests (Table 5; analyses of the residual sum of squares) suggest that the males tend to produce more chambers than females with nearly the same conch diameter."

rieqps.jpg

9 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Roger, my understanding of heteromorph sexual dimorphism is gracile vs robust rather than extreme difference in size (which thankfully agrees with your statement above). :P

It threw me off at first since I'm used to the great difference in size with the Jurassic ammonites.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

1 hour ago, Ludwigia said:

It thew me off at first since I'm used to the great difference in size with the Jurassic ammonites.

The Cretaceous was all about gender equality. :P