Dinosaur Egg Fossil?

CHary

I was in Arkansas when I found this unusual rock/fossil.  I thought this was a geode of some sort until I saw what appears to be bones in the center. It is exactly how I found it; I did not break it open...it was this nearly perfect, half-shell shape when I picked it up. I have a microscope that attaches to my iPhone so I have attempted to give you a good view of what I am calling "bones".  If any of you have suggestions as to what it might be, please let me know. Thank you!

IMG_0023.JPG

IMG_0027.JPG

IMG_0031.JPG

IMG_0034.JPG

Sorry, that isn't a dinosaur egg, but I believe it's a septarian nodule (correct me if I'm wrong) Either way, I think it's pretty cool!

• I found this Informative 1

Another vote here for a rock.

Perhaps a concretion, but could also be a weathered and leached piece of rock.

There is no egg shell on the outside.

Take a look at some fossil egg images on the net and hopefully you will find some with egg shell.

Looks to me like a hole in the rock that has weathered spheroidally, there are many minerals that create that type of structure that you see in your microscope, the first one that comes to mind is gypsum, which forms these structures sometimes in void space that have heated mineral water in them.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Looks like a geode that has already been sawn in half.  You say this is exactly how you found it.  Check the surface to see if you can see any saw marks. The crystals inside are fairly typical of what you will find inside geodes, and I know Arkansas is known for geodes.  My guess is that it is a discard from someone who was there earlier.

Thank you for the suggestions and information, everyone!  I appreciate it!  Sagebrush Steve, I do not see any saw marks, but that's what seems to get the most attention (the fact that it is broken in half so perfectly).  My daughter's friend (college-aged kids) asked my family to bring her back some rocks from our Arkansas vacation - she's a rock hound. I found this rock and I was going to give it to her.... until I rinsed it off and saw the "bones" so I selfishly decided to keep it. Well, now that I know what it is, I think I'll go ahead and give it to her.  I have one more interesting fossil that I will post later today.