Trip to Old Hunstanton

Ancient Bones

Whilst visiting my family in England last month, I and my younger daughter Deanne who traveled with me, were fortunate to be driven to Old Hunstanton for two exciting hours of exploring the striking cliffs there.

Arriving    A-Arriving.thumb.jpg.81d257e4a845352eff3b745042bbe400.jpg

Overhang

C-Overhang.jpg.44ef60d90d4dd840516dcd06e3e314a7.jpg

It was a lovely sunny day and right off we met a student who was studying Paleontology who was kind enough to show us the ledge where belemnites could be found.

Found one! B-Found-one-!.thumb.jpg.c729b8a8a3b280204aa3ea8a82221d25.jpg

Searching the base      D-Searching-the-base.thumb.jpg.1b938d063fc956396c41593060a20f37.jpg

continued in next reply

' Keep calm and carry on fossiling '

continued

It was a bit of a climb for this old lady with a mending broken femur, but I was not going to miss this chance!

The ledge was in the Hunstanton formation which is Early Cretaceous (Albian stage). We were thrilled to find a number of belemnite guards, some broken, (Neohibolites minimus).

AB-H-Belemnites.thumb.jpg.da6dafc2e4253d1a016f5db15dcb1feb.jpg

AB-H-Belemnite-Guard.jpg.bc39a74eda2b663f75be0f3b207afbf1.jpg

The rest of our short stay was spent searching the fallen boulders where I found this brachiopod in the Ferriby Chalk Formation which is Late Cretaceous (Cenomanian Stage).

E-Possible-Echinoid.jpg.4bd20c8046f49c2fe49fbda0ed4aec49.jpg

photo-3.jpg.f504165ac3824c02d79dbbac898d6240.jpg

F-The-beach.jpg.9278de2f4e9fe3bba431ed8bb5822850.jpg

continued in next reply

continued

All too soon we had to leave, but what a wonderful two hours!

G-Time-to-go.thumb.jpg.4f8bd272c3239209aeceb2caaf818dd3.jpg

As usual, Julianna is doing her great work with the pics.

I would appreciate help with these two IDs, please.  Are these burrows? Thalassinoides crustacean burrows have been found there.

AB-H-Burrows.thumb.jpg.d303af2ffa6b277106118e5b469b6242.jpg

What is this?AB-H-unkn.thumb.jpg.b0acd5a802ad8e16357327f12d405a61.jpg

Awesome trip! Too bad I'm across the Atlantic from there... :megalodon_broken01:

As for IDs, I won't be that much of a help, as I'm still (still!) learning the ropes. Good luck with them! :D

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Beautiful pics Jill, thanks for sharing:)

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Amazing finds, looks like it was worth the difficulty of getting to them! I'd agree that those ones you thought were burrows are ichnofossils, and that shrimp are a good bet for their creators.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Thank you Jeff and thank you WhodamanHD yes it was worth the climb!

Interesting location and nice report!

How common are the shark teeth at this site (read about them on uk fossils.com)?

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

Thanks Tony, we certainly did have an enjoyable time even though it was short!

Paleoworld-101   Thank you.   Shark teeth can be found but are not that common.

15 hours ago, DE&i said:

Great report @Ancient Bones I'm visiting the same location next Sunday. We shall have a local guide with us who knows the fauna very well. I'll run your finds by him if you like.

http://www.stamfordgeolsoc.org/event/hunstanton-trip/

Thank you D&E&i , I hope you have great hunting at this awesome site . I would appreciate you showing the guide my finds,he might be able to ID the tiny one. Looking forward to seeing your finds!   Jill

On 7/23/2017 at 6:16 PM, Ancient Bones said:

What is this?AB-H-unkn.thumb.jpg.b0acd5a802ad8e16357327f12d405a61.jpg

Hi Jill!

Could this specimen be a solitary scleractinian coral?  These types of corals did exist in the Cretaceous, I believe...

Monica

23 hours ago, Monica said:

Hi Jill!

Could this specimen be a solitary scleractinian coral?  These types of corals did exist in the Cretaceous, I believe...

Monica

Monica that might very well be it , I am hoping for confirmation . Thank you.   Jill

10 hours ago, Ancient Bones said:

Monica that might very well be it , I am hoping for confirmation . Thank you.   Jill

My pleasure, Jill!

Happy hunting!

Monica

That's a place I've not been to but have wanted too. Looks like you had a great day out with nice finds. love the general photos of the area and as always you photograph your finds superbly. 

Thanks John, I hope you can visit Old Hunstanton some day, spectacular cliff !  I sent my finds to Julianna ( daughter) who made the great pics.     Jill