Jacob Harrison

We need more photos from different sides.  From this one I would guess it is a septarian nodule or geode, but hard to say for sure.  Did you saw it in half or did it come that way?

Looks like a geode or a concretion of some sort.  No idea what make the cavern in the middle, but to me,,, its just a rock.

RB

7 minutes ago, RJB said:

Looks like a geode or a concretion of some sort.  No idea what make the cavern in the middle, but to me,,, its just a rock.

RB

Just a rock?  Just a rock??  You've insulted all the rockhounds that frequent this site! ^_^

Could this help? link

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

It is interesting to see two different discussions started the same day with pictures that look like geodes cut in half.  Here is the other one: 

My advice for this one is the same as for the other one.  See if you can spot any saw marks on the flat surface. Although this one doesn't look quite as obviously sawed, it could have been split with a chisel.  I'm thinking that once again this could be something that could have been discarded by someone looking for only high-grade specimens.  Just a guess, though, I don't know for sure.

Yes I saw the other post and that is pretty cool that someone found something similar to what I have but I can't find any saw marks or chisel marks it just looks like it broke in half and the middle part looks melted. 

flint concretion

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

47 minutes ago, Jacob Harrison said:

Yes I saw the other post and that is pretty cool that someone found something similar to what I have but I can't find any saw marks or chisel marks it just looks like it broke in half and the middle part looks melted. 

Ok, as others have said, it's probably a concretion of some sort that broke in half naturally.  I'm not familiar with that area, you might want to take it to a gem and mineral club for identification.  A quick google search didn't turn up one in Natchez, the closest one might be in Vicksburg.  You might also try to find a lapidary shop you could show it to, but I'd vote for a club if possible, as they usually have some pretty knowledgeable members.

1 hour ago, Foozil said:

Could it have broken in half because of glaciers or something like that?

Could have been any number of things. 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

1 hour ago, Foozil said:

Could it have broken in half because of glaciers or something like that?

It is not likely that a glacier would have broken it in that manner. More likely just tumbling down a hill or in a stream would be the cause of it breaking.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Most the rock ive seen broken are because of weathering in hot summers and cold winters.

RB

Archived