Trilobite #15, cephalon, my new #1

Rocky Stoner

Hi folks, just back from vacation. Realizing more what to look for, I found 5 more pygidia today as well as this little beauty which was in a piece of shale beside the road at the end of my driveway. I picked it up on my way back from the mailbox as it looked promising.

This is trilobite (bit) #15 and replaces #7 as my new favorite. I really dig those eyes ! Just one eye was exposed and there was plenty of matrix there to contain the entire trilobite, but sadly after taking great care (and time) to scratch down to the body, there was only a cephalon. I was so hoping this was a complete one.

Will keep looking, and hoping.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers.

1.JPG

2.JPG

4.JPG

Well done, sir! :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Fantastic! It is a frequent disappointment when what looks complete does not turn out to be so, but it certainly offers up hope of finding a full one. And, hey, sometimes having just the cephalon is in itself an object of beauty! Congrats on your find! :) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Great prep job, that shale is unforgiving! You'll find a whole one soon, keep looking!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

2 minutes ago, RJB said:

Your finding this stuff in your driveway!!!  Holy cow!!!  Nice place to live.

RB

Just #15 was in the road, all the rest were 30' away in my garden.

Introducing Trilo' (bit) #16. Split a handful of shale at lunchtime and this little guy popped out.

Was a bit crooked in the matrix and missing one eye.

This one was in a fracture that was exposed to the water, mud and a few small (grass) roots.

Still pretty well preserved though.

Thanks to everyone for your comments. The search continues ..........................................................

Kind regards,

:)

IMG_9882.JPG

IMG_9884.JPG

IMG_9885.JPG

Now you have found cephalons, and pygidiums, just find a thorax and you can glue them all together!:P

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 minute ago, WhodamanHD said:

Now you have found cephalons, and pygidiums, just find a thorax and you can glue them all together!:P

I've been wondering, and have been meaning to ask ...............

If the cephalon is one single "shell", and the pygidium is one single "shell", its clear to see that they are preserved.

I assume the thorax is many small shells with articulations between each which would allow the trilobite to "enroll" ? Or is the thorax one single "flexible" shell as well ?

So if the parts (here) are all from dead, disassembled creatures, wouldn't it be improbable to find a thorax intact ?

I have not seen any resemblance of one and the individual pieces would be nearly impossible to identify, or am I way off ?

Thanks again.

2 minutes ago, Rocky Stoner said:

If the cephalon is one single "shell", and the pygidium is one single "shell", its clear to see that they are preserved.

I assume the thorax is many small shells with articulations between each which would allow the trilobite to "enroll" ? Or is the thorax one single "flexible" shell as well ?

So if the parts (here) are all from dead, disassembled creatures, wouldn't it be improbable to find a thorax intact ?

I have not seen any resemblance of one and the individual pieces would be nearly impossible to identify, or am I way off ?

Thanks again.

I'm not really qualified to answer that, as my perpetual search for trilobites in or near Maryland has come up without a thorax, but I assume the segments are normally disarticulated, but I think sometimes they will stick together, but the cephalon and pygidium will drift away. They would be possible to ID, maybe not down to a species, but as a trilobite.So improbable? maybe. Impossible? Improbably.

• I found this Informative 1

Happy hunting,

Mason

10 minutes ago, Rocky Stoner said:

Thanks again.

The cephalon is made from several parts, the pygidium is only one part. The thorax is several "ribs".

Most of what You are finding are from sheds (They do that as they get bigger).

Because of the difference in size and shape the parts can be separated by the deposition processes.

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

13 minutes ago, ynot said:

Most of what You are finding are from sheds (They do that as they get bigger).

Ah yes, the ecdysis. 

I think I can see some of the facial sutures present on some of these.

Thanks again fellows, quite informative.