Is it even a fossil?

dodo4

I need help to ID my latest find. It is porous, like a bone, but does not look it. The lines look like scratch marks, or something.

IMG_0039.JPG

IMG_0036.JPG

Approximately where was it found?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I'm no expert in identifying fossils that look really similar to ordinary rocks, but I kinda think it may be a coral fragment covered in some (volcanic? might be a stupid guess) material. This is just based on that white porous patch on the bottom left of your 2nd pic.

• I found this Informative 1

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Last makes it look more like pumice to me.

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Haven't had ears of Floridian volcanoes, and it don't look coral to me. I'd agree "humanity" with a few Bryozoan colonies attached (white checker pattern things)

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Thank you! This is another picture, I have one more. I dont believe it changes the ID'ing

IMG_0037.JPG

And the last picture.

IMG_0040.JPG

I can see the similarity to volcanics..  just saw lots of it in hawaii but i believe you are looking at a worn bone fragment....its pretty beat up like a lot of the stuff we find at the beach here. Maybe one of the vert folks see something diagnostic and might know for sure what it is .the odd shape looks like possibly whale ear bone  fragments I have but most are very dense and heavy and not so porous but I'll wait for a vert person to say that is even possible..

Regards, Chris

• I found this Informative 3

It looks like a bone fragment to me, as well.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library