Possible trilobite part ?

Rocky Stoner

It is 1/2 of a Greenops pygidium.

Nothing off about it at all. 

Very common looking. 

gallery_2806_718_209040.jpg      gallery_2806_718_350332.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

14 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Very common looking. 

Yeah, feeling's just me. Ah well, experience will come with age. :P

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

9 minutes ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

Yeah, feeling's just me. Ah well, experience will come with age. :P

;) 

IMG_9887.thumb.JPG-horz.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

19 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Very common looking. 

gallery_2806_718_209040.jpg      gallery_2806_718_350332.jpg

Thank you Tm, this one marked "confirmed".

I found 4 more pygidia yesterday, all Eldredgeops. This is the only Greenops so far.

This brings the total count to 23 bits of trilobite found in/near one corner of the garden.

I think I'll glue this split back together and try to prep the top half. I think I can clearly distinguish which is the upper portion.

Thanks again to all.

2 hours ago, Rocky Stoner said:

Thank you Tm, this one marked "confirmed".

I found 4 more pygidia yesterday, all Eldredgeops. This is the only Greenops so far.

This brings the total count to 23 bits of trilobite found in/near one corner of the garden.

I think I'll glue this split back together and try to prep the top half. I think I can clearly distinguish which is the upper portion.

Thanks again to all.

Let us know how that turns out!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Well, good and bad.

I dug in there and found the little fellow but I think the glue I used permeated the porous shale sealing the matrix to cast making it difficult, if not impossible to find the edges of the wings/flippers/spikes.

I can see them in there, just can't scratch up to a clean edge.

Should have taken the earlier advise and left well enough alone but hey, this is how I learn.

And I really like the high ridge of the axial lobe of the greenops as compared to the eldridgeops.

Regards.

IMG_9923.JPG

IMG_9924.JPG

It's good practice, and sometimes we make a few mistakes. Of course, the only real solution in this case will be to... find more! And, yes, the Greenops are really neat. :) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

15 minutes ago, Rocky Stoner said:

Well, good and bad.

I dug in there and found the little fellow but I think the glue I used permeated the porous shale sealing the matrix to cast making it difficult, if not impossible to find the edges of the wings/flippers/spikes.

I can see them in there, just can't scratch up to a clean edge.

Should have taken the earlier advise and left well enough alone but hey, this is how I learn.

And I really like the high ridge of the axial lobe of the greenops as compared to the eldridgeops.

Regards.

It still turned out nice, you can see the pygidium well, and the spikes are visible. Hopefully the next one will split better!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

2 hours ago, Kane said:

...... the only real solution in this case will be to... find more! :) 

Ha, just after this post I went out in the rain and quickly picked up 3 chunks and found this guy peeking out of the second split.

This one, #24, cleaned up pretty easily.

Those eyes stand out like a basketball to me now, they really catch my "eye".

Thanks for the encouragement guys, and thanks WhodamanHD for posting that first "peeper".

:)

ScreenHunter_01 Jul. 28 16.41.jpg

IMG_9928.JPG

IMG_9929.JPG

8 minutes ago, Rocky Stoner said:

Ha, just after this post I went out in the rain and quickly picked up 3 chunks and found this guy peeking out of the second split.

Thanks for the encouragement guys, and thanks WhodamanHD for posting that first "peeper".

:)

ScreenHunter_01 Jul. 28 16.41.jpg

IMG_9928.JPG

IMG_9929.JPG

Very cool.  Are you going to leave it in the matrix or try to clean some away?  I know my old ham hands would make a mess of it.  

2 minutes ago, Adam86cucv said:

Are you going to leave it in the matrix or try to clean some away? 

I'm considering using a diamond blade in a wet tile saw to cut the nicest cephalons into squares, clean them up to where they sit flat then glue them to a piece of wood for display.

Hoping to fine a complete one ....... some day.:fingerscrossed:

Thanks.

2 minutes ago, Rocky Stoner said:

It's only a matter of time. :) :trilo:

It hasn't been that long, and you've found 24 pieces so far. Your full trilobite reward for your efforts can't be too much longer now!

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

34 minutes ago, Rocky Stoner said:

Thank you for that matrix! I had no idea what it was, I'm still in shock that it's a trilobite!  24 ain't a bad record, keep it up!

now I just gotta find a trilo in my own matrix...... *taps at some shale* *it splits to reveal one brachiopod" *frowns* *picks up another And repeats*

Happy hunting,

Mason

23 minutes ago, Rocky Stoner said:

I'm considering using a diamond blade in a wet tile saw to cut the nicest cephalons into squares, clean them up to where they sit flat then glue them to a piece of wood for display.

Thanks.

Most put buck or moose heads above there fireplace, but if I had one, there would be trilobite cephalons above it....

Happy hunting,

Mason

5 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Most put buck or moose heads above there fireplace, but if I had one, there would be trilobite cephalons above it....

:D

6 hours ago, Kane said:

It's only a matter of time. :) :trilo:

It hasn't been that long, and you've found 24 pieces so far. Your full trilobite reward for your efforts can't be too much longer now!

Thanks Kane, I hope it will be soon. Just broke the 3rd chunk open and found 2 more bits, a pygidium and this little cephalon, #26. He's not in the best condition, a small brachiopod is residing in place of one eye.

I'm beginning to think that, even though I'm finding quite a few bits n' pieces, this corner of the garden is just a puddle of parts.

Thinking about moving to a new location. I found a mud shale layer like this one a few hundred yards away that is just under the surface and nearly horizontal. It should be easy to harvest some healthy slabs without much digging and I won't be busting them up with the plow and roto-tiller, like I did in the berry patch.

Other than an exceptional, or questionable find, I think I'll start posting finds in multiples of 5. ^_^

Thanks folks.

IMG_9945.JPG