Sun Pyrite?

Rockpit

I went on my first ever fossil hunting trip at Mazonia Lakes last week.  I found a few fossils in what I think is limestone and chert (?) and a few possible concretions.  I hit this one with a hammer and it opened easily.  I have been trying to identify what it is by looking online. Thanks for your help.

0720172028.jpg0724171521b.jpg

Edited by Rockpit

I think you're right about the "pyrite sun".

2010060520.jpeg.ccec2db0fd002d80972d07d3e844caa1.jpeg

picture from here

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

What about a partial Marcasite ball ?

0724171451a.jpg.01cd738075f17552c405c4353d7539eb.thumb.jpg.d9f54f4d4f09be2f1e7d424e0fa28269.jpg22694416.thumb.jpg.d79ebcbf4a78e3c7d0318405a71c8b9d.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Though I do think it looks like some sort of pyrite, it couldn't be a pyrite sun. Though you are in the right state, suns are almost exclusively found in Randolph county. It also couldn't be a pyrite sun because they are only found in coal mines in that area. 

Though not a pyrite sun, that specimen does look like a very cool piece of pyrite!

Here is an example of one of the pyrite suns I own.

IMG_3866.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

Thanks for all the great replies!  Of course now I had to go look up siderite, and marcasite balls and globular concretions. :) If it is marcasite, should I worry it will disintegrate?  I put it in a Ziploc bag. 

3 hours ago, Chase_E said:

Though I do think it looks like some sort of pyrite, it couldn't be a pyrite sun. Though you are in the right state, suns are almost exclusively found in Randolph county. It also couldn't be a pyrite sun because they are only found in coal mines in that area. 

Though not a pyrite sun, that specimen does look like a very cool piece of pyrite!

Here is an example of one of the pyrite suns I own.

IMG_3866.JPG

Nice fossils :wub:

That is definitely pyrite and that area has a lot of it. You also mentioned that you found fossils in limestone, those are also found out there and were brought South with the glaciers- you will also find a lot of nice glacial erratics- some extremely large.