Brachiopods & maybe coral near Strawberry, AZ

Deb Petruzzi

Welcome to The Fossil Forum.

Nice finds. The three right brachiopods look like Peniculauris bassi McKee 1938 from the Permian Kaibab Limestone found on top the Mogollon Rim. The other four lumpy nodules to the left are composed of quartz, (which are sometimes lined with quartz in the interior), and are commonly found in the Devonian Martin Formation. The far upper left one is quartz that may be replacing  coral. Please provide other views to confirm coral. 

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

This does seem like one for a local to call. In some situations there can be an occasional piece that shows the transition from good preservation to something else. 

7 hours ago, Deb Petruzzi said:

I don't know how to ask the species of brachiopods & why none have the other side. 

The brachiopods are bi-valved animals, and in the case of your fossils, only one valve was fossilized. (Think of the solitary bivavle shells you find at the beach.) 

These appear to be casts of a solitary valve of each brachiopod.  Hope that makes sense. 

Regards, 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 hour ago, Fossildude19 said:

The brachiopods are bi-valved animals, and in the case of your fossils, only one valve was fossilized. (Think of the solitary bivavle shells you find at the beach.) 

These appear to be casts of a solitary valve of each brachiopod.  Hope that makes sense. 

Regards, 

Yup, the brachiopods might have died and disarticulated before being buried and subsequently fossilized. Some layers in aquatic formations are made up completely of such, wave and current action having sorted and concentrated them (as we see still occurs to this day).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The book "Index Fossils of North America" has a nice long section on brachipods. It is by Shimer and Shrock, and I think is available for viewing free on Google Books, though I bought my own as a used copy from Abe Books for $12.00. Well worth it. 

The Brachs look like they are from the top of the Rim and are from the Permian Marine Kaibab formation.  But the lumpy nodules and coral (Disphyllum?) look to be Devonian Martin formation.  The nodules are pseudomorphs, silica after anahydrite.  Inside sometimes youll find brown quarts crystals.  they are like geodes.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arizona Chris

Paleo Web Site:  http://schursastrophotography.com/fossiladventures.html

Thanks Chris.  I was just typing up a suggestion that Deb have you look at her post.  I was confused by the implication that she had collected all the specimens at the same place.  I'm happy to agree with DPS Ammonite and you on the ID.

Don

1 hour ago, dalmayshun said:

The book "Index Fossils of North America" has a nice long section on brachipods. It is by Shimer and Shrock, and I think is available for viewing free on Google Books, though I bought my own as a used copy from Abe Books for $12.00. Well worth it. 

Here is another post that links to PDF copies of a similarly titled book, but only one of the two authors is the same.  Is yours a newer version?

8 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

I wouldn't use resources that old,but that may be just me

Agreed.  That's why I wanted to know how old was the book that @dalmayshun was referencing.  Did some more digging an looks like it is 1972.

I wouldn't use them to identify anything, for several reasons, but for a  new person, such as myself, trying to understand what a brachipod is, they can be a nice source of information and provide some basic knowledge of what various parts are called....they have been helpful to me. (I am including a shot of one of the first hashplates I found near Green Bay, WI. (makoqueta) before I knew what brachiapods were....I have since learned much and collected some gorgeous specimens. Love the forum, it has taught me alot, and its participants are helpful and knowledgeable. So Deb, best wishes  - and great finds. 

20170725_131156-picsay.jpg

An interesting and useful project for the Forum could be to update all the names in the "Index Fossils" book to current taxonomy.  It would be a lot of work though, and I have no idea how it could be organized.

Don

12 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

An interesting and useful project for the Forum could be to update all the names in the "Index Fossils" book to current taxonomy.  It would be a lot of work though, and I have no idea how it could be organized.

Will we still have time to eat or sleep?  The index of genera and species for IFNA is 135 pages long! :o emo73.gif :P lol

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

:o I suppose that is why no-one has done it.  Maybe a project for retirement; better than endless soduku.

Don

9 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

:o I suppose that is why no-one has done it.  Maybe a project for retirement; better than endless soduku.

Don

That would be an ideal project for a tenure-track researcher. If only the funding climate were a bit better!

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Maybe for undergrads.  Give each one one page of the index to update (with references of course).

Don

2 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Maybe for undergrads.  Give each one one page of the index to update (with references of course).

Don

No, not undergrads! :D (Many of them don't know what a library is!)

RAs, yes. But that is kind of like exploiting cheap labour, right?

Isn't "cheap labor" the whole point of RAs?

Undergrads could probably do it, though, as long as they could look it up on their phone.  I think within a generation or so babies will be born with marsupial-like pouches in their palms so they can carry their phones at all times without using their fingers, which will have become short thin pegs with a pad on the end for tapping keyboards.

Don

8 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Undergrads could probably do it, though, as long as they could look it up on their phone.  I think within a generation or so babies will be born with marsupial-like pouches in their palms so they can carry their phones at all times without using their fingers, which will have become short thin pegs with a pad on the end for tapping keyboards.

Don

Geezers of the world UNITE!

Except for a cheap flip-phone for calling AAA, all my phones have cords.;)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

41 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Don

Them and contract faculty, sadly. 

Perhaps undergrads could iPhone it up, but if you've had increasing problems with Google delivering relevant results despite proper search engine syntax, you could see how that would fail quickly! My only hope for that generation is that they remember how to bring food to mouth.

29 minutes ago, Auspex said:

Geezers of the world UNITE!

Except for a cheap flip-phone for calling AAA, all my phones have cords.;)

I'm hardly a geezer at 40, but I can live offline for long stretches of time. I grew up midway through the personalization of computing and its gradual commercialization. As opposed to my "digitally savvy" successors, I actually understand it isn't a magic box, and it is tied to electrical statistics and cybernetic principles developed in the 1940s, with some improvements due to free-wheeling experimentation in the 1960s due to DARPA funding until that was called in for its "practicality." The keyboard, mouse, and streaming video were - like the first synthesizers - developed on a whim with no problem in mind to resolve. All we've done since is miniaturize and make derivative products/services, sadly. 

And, apparently, as they no longer teach cursive writing in schools, I am among the last generations who can sign his name on a document. Yikes.

35 minutes ago, Kane said:

... All we've done since is miniaturize and make derivative products/services, sadly.

I dunno 'bout that... Steve Jobs rolled one out a while back that certainly changed the world...;)

3 minutes ago, Auspex said:

I dunno 'bout that... Steve Jobs rolled one out a while back that certainly changed the world...;)

Sadly, it was not a technological leap. Both Jobs and Gates simply repurposed existing tech. I liken them to Edison, not Tesla. :( If we look at the fundamentals of the technology, there was little true innovation involved - mostly repackaging for a commercial market. :( 

One good way of determining this would be through the operating systems that power devices. To this day, Microsoft still uses BIOS which is much older than their corporation and in need of a serious update for booting. Jobs cottoned on to Linux, which predates Apple.

S'okay, Kane - we'll all be implanted with chips soon, so we won't have to worry about pesky signing . :P 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 minute ago, Kane said:

Sadly, it was not a technological leap. Both Jobs and Gates simply repurposed existing tech. I liken them to Edison, not Tesla. :( If we look at the fundamentals of the technology, there was little true innovation involved - mostly repackaging for a commercial market. :( 

I still hold high esteem for those who can synthesize existing tech into a complete game-changer. Sometimes, it's all about recognizing the potential and maybe tweaking a few things. Sometimes is pivots on devising a new way to make this Buck Rogers stuff (1) affordable, and (2) intuitively simple to use for a real everyday application.

Archived