Fossils found in North Cave, UK. In a woodland rich in clay and moss.

Guy Macdonald

These fossils were found by me in a woodland by my house, the area it was found in was rich in clay and moss, the first fossil intrigued me most as It definetly looks like a very faded ammonite, can clay yield good fossils though? and are these even fossils, thanks.

fossil 14.png

fossil 12.png

And the final one.

fossil_13.png

What are the sizes, on these? 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 minute ago, Fossildude19 said:

What are the sizes, on these? 

The assumed ammonite is fairly small, on the average hand if you were to put your middle finger and your thumb together to form a circle it would be about that size, this would only apply to male hands though really that are above average. The other two span out to the length of your average paperback book. Sorry I'm trying to make it easy by comparing it to something as I have no way to measure them at the current time.

Yes, size is very helpful in identification.

PS. Don't use coins, as people from other countries may not be able to view the size.

• I found this Informative 2

Keep looking! They're everywhere!

1 minute ago, Guy Macdonald said:

The assumed ammonite is fairly small, on the average hand if you were to put your middle finger and your thumb together to form a circle it would be about that size, this would only apply to male hands though really that are above average. The other two span out to the length of your average paperback book. Sorry I'm trying to make it easy by comparing it to something as I have no way to measure them at the current time.

At a guess by looking the ammonite is about 7-10cm across, with the other two being around 15-25cm across.

I think the first one is an ammonite, clay can be formed from solid rock that has been broken down, fossils in harder minerals will survive this and be deposited in the clay. I can't really be sure about the Second one, doesn't look fossil to me though.  The last one looks to have a few pieces of shell material scattered throughout it, maybe a belemnite.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

'On top of your average sized iPad mini' Average size? :D

Best use a ruler @Guy Macdonald:)

can you be more specific with where you found them so we can determine the era? If you don't want to reveal the place you could use something like the 'fossil explorer' app. 

With your potential ammo you could try scanning it rather than photographing it and include a ruler. This is often a better method rather than a camera. 

2 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

'On top of your average sized iPad mini' Average size? :D

Best use a ruler @Guy Macdonald:)

can you be more specific with where you found them so we can determine the era? If you don't want to reveal the place you could use something like the 'fossil explorer' app. 

With your potential ammo you could try scanning it rather than photographing it and include a ruler. This is often a better method rather than a camera. 

Hi. I live in North Cave, east Yorkshire, united kingdom. These three were found in a small woodland 2-3miles from me, the particular patch of ground I pulled these from was heavy in clay, all were covered in moss and clay. The small ammonite is 9cm and the other one is at 16cm, those aren't 2 separate fossils it's double sided lol. The area around the fossils was also heavy in clay, and just general mud everywhere else.

Hi. I live in North Cave, east Yorkshire, united kingdom. These three were found in a small woodland 2-3miles from me, the particular patch of ground I pulled these from was heavy in clay, all were covered in moss and clay. The small ammonite is 9cm and the other one is at 16cm, those aren't 2 separate fossils it's double sided lol. The area around the fossils was also heavy in clay, and just general mud everywhere else.

I'd try using a geologic map, and if you have the patients, try cleaning up the Ammonite with a scribe (if you have one).

If I'm correct, should be jurrasic in North Cave, can you tell which one your in? Here's a map I found online.

IMG_2298.JPG

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

The potential ammonite looks circular to me, as in a ring shape. Most ammonites are spiral. Could it be a coral? It needs cleaning a bit.

Jurassic is good for ammos. When you said north cave I didn't realise it was a place!

I think I see suture marks on the small one, try gently washing it maybe with a gentle scrub with a toothbrush and then scan. 

2 minutes ago, Taogan said:

The potential ammonite looks circular to me, as in a ring shape. Most ammonites are spiral. Could it be a coral? It needs cleaning a bit.

I thought that too but I think I can see suture lines

13 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

I'd try using a geologic map, and if you have the patients, try cleaning up the Ammonite with a scribe (if you have one).

If I'm correct, should be jurrasic in North Cave, can you tell which one your in? Here's a map I found online.

IMG_2298.JPG

Judging from this I appear to be sitting pretty right on lias group - Mudstone, siltstone, lime stone and sandstone (brownish colour)

Any advice on how to clean this would be appreciated, not sure what a scribe is still all so new to this looking to learn as I go on though

Suture lines at light coloured area 9 o'clock. Does look to round for ammo so I'm 75% going for rugosa. 

Judging from this I appear to be sitting pretty right on lias group - Mudstone, siltstone, lime stone and sandstone (brownish colour)

Any advice on how to clean this would be appreciated, not sure what a scribe is still all so new to this looking to learn as I go on though

Toothbrush and water gently. 

4 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

Jurassic is good for ammos. When you said north cave I didn't realise it was a place!

I think I see suture marks on the small one, try gently washing it maybe with a gentle scrub with a toothbrush and then scan. 

I thought that too but I think I can see suture lines

North Cave is on the Grey Chalk so not Jurassic and these were surface deposits, could be anything from anywhere, I would guess rugose coral from a glacial deposit

1 minute ago, JohnBrewer said:

Suture lines at light coloured area 9 o'clock. Does look to round for ammo so I'm 75% going for rugosa. 

Toothbrush and water gently. 

No problem I can do that, hopefully this will bring it back a bit looks very faded

Just now, Taogan said:

North Cave is on the Grey Chalk so not Jurassic and these were surface deposits, could be anything from anywhere, I would guess rugose coral from a glacial deposit

Aye it's a place haha just a very small village, I often go to the beach fossil hunting but I just though I'd give it a go I already knew the woodlands well glad I found some cool stuff.

7 minutes ago, Taogan said:

IMG_5873.thumb.PNG.0163048d55aa35f0d0ff872502d65139.PNG

Those glaciers, always messing up the use of a geologic map....

Happy hunting,

Mason