Max-fossils

Hi all,

As well as being a great fossil enthusiast, I also love finding modern remains of life and nature. Like a few of you already know, I am also quite fond of seashells (fossil seashells are one of my favorite things). Minerals also interest me, though I don't know much about them. And anything else to do with nature will get me interested.

I just came back yesterday from some fantastic holidays in Greece, and didn't come back empty-handed! At first, we stayed for a few days at one of our friend's house on the Greek island Paros. Then, we spent one night in Athens to visit the famous Acropolis, before spending a few days at Gerolimenas, a small village at the tip of the Mani peninsula (Peloponnese). Finally we stayed two nights in Nafplio, in the north of the Peloponnese, and then returned to the cold and rainy Netherlands. Surely holidays to remember!

Of course, I was constantly looking around for fossils, seashells, and other things, enjoying the slightly nerdy activities we all here enjoy so much. :P 

Though no fossils were found, I did find a few other things. Here are my different hauls!

Chapter 1: Paros

Paros is a lovely, typically Greek island, in the Aegean sea. The first few days here, having visited several different beaches, I found nearly nothing. Then one day, after having eaten a delicious grilled squid, I strolled on the beach, and bingo! Seashells everywhere! I quickly grabbed a plastic bag and filled it up with little treasures. I was really stunned by the beautiful Noah's Ark shells. That was the only beach where I made finds, but the finds were so great that it was enough to leave the place with good memories and happy hands.

Total haul (things on top are not seashells, but other miscellaneous things):

paroshaul.thumb.jpg.0d7433fcf65ccd1d0a8c92c04c4e2317.jpg

Some of my favorites:

A small Diodora graeca:

59776c21ac404_FullSizeRender(41).thumb.jpg.a4b9b7cff409fb520d299174ffb434d0.jpg

A very nice Haliotis mykonosensis:

59776c58362a5_FullSizeRender(43).thumb.jpg.7c18b5d70c1ea38eafa4fcd4488dd898.jpg

A beautiful Neverita josephina:

59776c641bc37_FullSizeRender(39).thumb.jpg.1884fec53d0659187b24681f280029dd.jpg

A touch-looking crab claw:

59776c6837d2f_FullSizeRender(40).thumb.jpg.37d9fba8fbf53de71a373298e4bc4893.jpg

Some cool pink-red urchin spines:

IMG_0470.thumb.JPG.55d5c2ade3187549c4476e1df540a0ac.JPG

A small but stunning Arca noae:

IMG_0451.thumb.JPG.b4192c6e1cc609fe896fca278180f924.JPG

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Chapter 2: Acrocorinth and Mani

On our way from Athens to the south of the Mani peninsula, we stopped at Corinth and wanted to visit the Acrocorinth, the castle on a rock overlooking the city. Unfortunately it had just closed. I quickly looked on the ground to see if there was anything, and found a few shiny rocks with minerals, as well as a partial Spondylus gaederopus. This was a surprise, as we were at about 400m of altitude! Of course, my first thought was FOSSIL, but after a hotly debated topic here on TFF, we came to the conclusion that it was most probably modern, possibly dropped here by a visitor back in the Ancient Greek ages. 

In the Mani peninsula, an absolutely beautiful region, not much was found. Well, I did actually find quite a few nice gastropods, but nearly all of them contained small hermit crabs, and I decided to leave the little crustaceans in their home. Though I didn't find much here, at least it was a beautiful spot for snorkeling! 

Total haul (right side of the line are seashells, rest are rocks):

manihaul.thumb.jpg.78c41da1bbb5e24c52dd49453fdeaaad.jpg

I also found two very nice sea urchins and two beautiful (dead) cicadas:

IMG_0473.JPG

IMG_0472.JPG

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

Chapter 3: Nafplio and Vivari

The city of Nafplio, in the north of the Peloponnese, was once a beautiful city, with many impressive castles and nice beaches. Now, unfortunately, it has lost some of its charm due to the rapidly growing tourism industry. On the beach of Nafplio, I found a few seashells, and in the cliffs next to it some cool bones. Vivari, a small village near Nafplio, had a cool beach inside a lagoon, meaning that the waves were barely present. Most of it was small pebbles, but about 10m offshore, at around 2m depth there are sandy beds, in which many seashells can be found. Some have lots of algae and epifaunal animals on them, but others have splendid colors. 

Total haul (above the blue line are bones):

nafpliohaul.thumb.jpg.c50e9139fbc13c6234cf79ac46ca0321.jpg

Max Derème

Some of my favorites:

A clam with lots of epifaunal that is yet to be indentified:

59777477dae91_FullSizeRender(48).thumb.jpg.ac9ad39ac9d206b3c3147ee59f9cddd4.jpg

A big and colorful heart shell Acanthocardia tuberculata:

5977747bbe85f_FullSizeRender(42).thumb.jpg.27fd7ea768f1acb3e4b8a798c7acc6d4.jpg

A cool looking double Venus verrucosa:

59777489e0409_FullSizeRender(46).thumb.jpg.282dcd2e1b2583b56c8443cc81575eda.jpg

A cool piece of the Pinna nobilis:

597774ce5a4d7_FullSizeRender(49).thumb.jpg.bf5405047ec0298e6e7b45384ad6ad1a.jpg

A beautiful pair of bivalves that I still need to ID, with amazing colors:

597774d3ee89b_FullSizeRender(47).thumb.jpg.d66f05f7204de0c97a946afb286b7ed3.jpg

Max Derème

I also bought a few seashells on a stand in Paros, because I just couldn't let this trio (for only 7 euros!) slip past me:

IMG_0471.JPG

Here is the ABSOLUTE TOTAL haul of my holidays in Greece, so everything I brought back:

IMG_0475.thumb.JPG.fb268724131ec1e80bd346f4365669b2.JPG

I definitely can't complain, even if there are no fossils!

All in all, between the visits of the beautiful beaches, enjoyable snorkeling, the cute villages and the historic vestiges of the past, plus enough little treasures to start a whole new collection, those are definitely holidays I will remember!

Thanks for reading the report, I hope you enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed writing it 

Best regards,

Max

Max Derème

Pretty shells, Max!

Thanks for the pics/report. 

@Coco  

Coco might enjoy seeing these. ;) 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Nice holidays, Max.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Thanks Tim ! ;)  :wub:

Your sea urchins are Arbacia lixula (Arbaciidae).

Nice report and great holidays !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

1 hour ago, ynot said:

Nice find and great trip report!

Thanks for sharing Your wonderful adventure.

Tony

1 hour ago, Fossildude19 said:

Pretty shells, Max!

Thanks for the pics/report. 

@Coco  

Coco might enjoy seeing these. ;) 

58 minutes ago, fifbrindacier said:

Nice holidays, Max.

19 minutes ago, Coco said:

Thanks Tim ! ;)  :wub:

Your sea urchins are Arbacia lixula (Arbaciidae).

Nice report and great holidays !

Coco

Thanks everyone!

Merci Coco pour donner une espece a ces petits oursins!

Max

Max Derème

19 minutes ago, Foozil said:

Awesome collection, and thanks for the report. :dinothumb:

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it :)

Max Derème

1 hour ago, Max-fossils said:

Merci Coco pour donner une espece a ces petits oursins!

Max

:dinothumb:

Coco

----------------------

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Nice report

That unidentified clam is a Venus clam and is called Callista chione.

If you want some supplements to your current collection I could send some other sea shells/urchins/mice from alittle north of Paros, from a group of islands called the sporades specifically from Alonissos.

I'm out diving every day and have another 10 days over here so there is more than enough to go around ;)

Regards

On 7/26/2017 at 0:15 PM, Phevo said:

Nice report

That unidentified clam is a Venus clam and is called Callista chione.

If you want some supplements to your current collection I could send some other sea shells/urchins/mice from alittle north of Paros, from a group of islands called the sporades specifically from Alonissos.

I'm out diving every day and have another 10 days over here so there is more than enough to go around ;)

Regards

Thanks a lot! But my cupboard is already full of seashells and other things from all around the world, so I don't think I'll take any more from Greece :P

I am intrigued though by "mice"... Do you actually have mice skeletons? That's pretty cool. If you have any you would be willing to give away, send me a PM :)

Regards,

Max

Max Derème

Hi,

On 26/07/2017 at 0:15 PM, Phevo said:

Lucky man !

Coco

----------------------

Un Greg...

Archived