Navajo

those are mosasaur teeth! Unfourtunatly, that is a composite jaw, which means that the teeth are real but the jaw part is fake.

For the exact species of mosasaur could take a bit more hard, but my guess is that its a Prognathodon because of its robust shape and the thin part at the back side which I usually diagnose as a signature for prog teeth. May be wrong on that thou.

• I found this Informative 3

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

I'd agree prognathadon, but am as inexperienced as a very inexperienced thing, someone who knows more and can confirm is @LordTrilobite who should eventually share his opinion here.

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 minute ago, Navajo said:

What do you sugest? To take the teeth out and keep them appart?

That's up to you, I would considering how unrealistic it is.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Teeth Mosasaur teeth. Fake jaw.

Yes, the teeth do indeed look like Prognathodon sp. except the front most tooth. That tooth on the far right looks like it could be Prognathodon sp. or possibly Eremiasaurus heterodontus. Depending on where the tooth sits in the jaw, the shape can vary wildly.

The teeth look like pretty nice specimens too.

The jaw sadly, as has been already mentioned, is a fake. A composite of random pieces of real bone to be exact. Generally how fake mosasaur jaws are made by placing a few random pieces of bone from the same area as the teeth and use glue and sand to fill in the gaps. This will partially hide the fact that they are different unrelated bones and they take the rough shape of a jaw. So most of the material used is genuine. There's a chance the bone pieces come from a mosasaur, plesiosaur, croc or turtle. But those bone pieces use are generally in such a bad state that they wouldn't be identifiable anyway. And now they are used to assemble a composite jaw there's not a whole lot that can be learned from it besides how to spot a fake.

• I found this Informative 2

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

I appreciate soo much your information, It makes a lot to me, thank you very much!!!

do you think In Utah I can find nice fish specimens?

3 minutes ago, Navajo said:

I appreciate soo much your information, It makes a lot to me, thank you very much!!!

do you think In Utah I can fibd nice fish specimens?

I'd doubt that you could, and if you did it's legality. That's a subject for another thread;)

Happy hunting,

Mason

13 minutes ago, Navajo said:

do you think In Utah I can find nice fish specimens?

The green river in utah is drowned in fish fossils, but because of that, many places may have been claimed or protected, so trying to find some on your own might drop you into a legal flat. But I do know that there are plenty of programs in utah where you as a group dig for those types of fossils legally (i guess the hosts own that piece of river)

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

1 minute ago, Macrophyseter said:

The green river in utah is drowned in fish fossils, but because of that, many places may have been claimed or protected, so trying to find some on your own might drop you into a legal flat. But I do know that there are plenty of programs in utah where you as a group dig for those types of fossils legally (i guess the hosts own that piece of river)

Really? I thought that was Wyoming, guess I need to ad Colorado on the list of places to hunt fossils....

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 minute ago, WhodamanHD said:

Really? I thought that was Wyoming, guess I need to ad Colorado on the list of places to hunt fossils...

Ive heard of it most in utah, but I guess it could be in other states, as the green river stretches from utah to colorado to wyoming.

2 minutes ago, Macrophyseter said:

Ive heard of it most in utah, but I guess it could be in other states, as the green river stretches from utah to colorado to wyoming.

Good to know, thx!

Happy hunting,

Mason

14 minutes ago, Macrophyseter said:

18 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Really? I thought that was Wyoming, guess I need to ad Colorado on the list of places to hunt fossils....

The river that runs from Wyoming to southern Utah and is called Green river is not the same as the Green River formation that produces fish fossils.

The Green River Formation is mostly located in southwest Wyoming. There are several locations that allow digging for a fee, but most of the formation is off limits to collecting.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

33 minutes ago, ynot said:

The Green River Formation is mostly located in southwest Wyoming.

Oh, okay. For some reason, Ive always known it as mostly in north-eastern utah.

8 minutes ago, Macrophyseter said:

Oh, okay. For some reason, Ive always known it as mostly in north-western utah.

As far as I am aware there is no exposures of the green river formation in Utah. There is a town in southeast Utah called Green river.

12 minutes ago, ynot said:

The river that runs from Wyoming to southern Utah and is called Green river is not the same as the Green River formation that produces fish fossils.

The Green River Formation is mostly located in southwest Wyoming. There are several locations that allow digging for a fee, but most of the formation is off limits to collecting.

Thank you for clearing that up. I thought I remembered researching that for a thread where @Navajo asked for sites, the main one is closed in October.

Happy hunting,

Mason

19 minutes ago, ynot said:

As far as I am aware there is no exposures of the green river formation in Utah. There is a town in southeast Utah called Green river.

Okay, after some searching, I found out that the Green River Formation is composed of mainly 4 oilshades/basins. The biggest one, which is called the Green River Basin itself, is in south west wyoming. The Washake Basin also connects to the Green River Basin, which also leaks into Colorado. The second-largest, the Unita, is in northeast utah south of the green river basin, and the Piceance Basin is in Colorado. All basins contain plenty of Green River Fossils. So a huge chunk of the Green River Formation is in Utah, but again, I guess that the Wyoming-side basin is most plentful or its just that the Wymoing government has most tolerance over it. And you probably may be mistaken with the Green River Basin that I said above, which is all in Wyoming.

5 hours ago, Macrophyseter said:

5 hours ago, ynot said:

Lance Grande, @RLG, who wrote the definitive book on fossils of the Green River, sometimes participates in this forum.  I'm sure he could clear up any confusion.

I while back,i used to post stuff like this (which,I think, nobody noticed)

rcjomages.jpg

6 hours ago, ynot said:

Just curious, why would most of a formation be off limits ? Are they afraid you'd dig a quarry ?

And what would they do to ya if they caught ya ?

Thanks.

lacustrine OIL shale?

research into PETM?

the need for a Messel-like Unesco heritage status?

32 minutes ago, Rocky Stoner said:

Just curious, why would most of a formation be off limits ? Are they afraid you'd dig a quarry ?

And what would they do to ya if they caught ya ?

Thanks.

A large part of it is a "national monument"  called fossil butte. Most of the rest of it that is public property is held in leases by oil companies.

If they caught You in the monument part they would probably charge You with a felony, otherwise just trespassing. (that is My guess anyways.)

yeah,thought so.

varved /laminated lacustrine eocene deposits->hydrocarbons(e.g.in/from algal laminites)