Found along the Mississippi rive where I normally find pet wood.

Raistlin

Long time no post for me.

So is this bone or antler?

It is heavy for it's size so mineralization is present.

Normally I am finding what I believe is Cretaceous pet wood in this area and I have found a few bits of turtle shell and what are two possible bits of bird bone also. I suspect the bone/antler is not as old as Cretaceous though I might be wrong.  

Thanks

Robert

Robert
Southeast, MO

Looks to be a bone, maybe a metatarsal? I'm not that skilled in the field on osteology...

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

10 minutes ago, ynot said:

Can You post more pictures from all sides and ends?

There are 10 photos from all angles you have to click next in the album linked.

11 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Looks to be a bone, maybe a metatarsal? I'm not that skilled in the field on osteology...

That would be a big one (well big compared to stuff I might find in the woods). I  wonder if I could figure out what it is from if it is.

Robert
Southeast, MO

2 minutes ago, Raistlin said:

There are 10 photos from all angles you have to click next in the album linked.

That would be a big one (well big compared to stuff I might find in the woods). I  wonder if I could figure out what it is from if it is.

I just saw the extra pictures, now I'm thinking a humerus? It's got a weird fused scapula if that is the case. I'm probably just being stupid and someone else will be able to help. If it's from recent, @Harry Pristis may be able to help.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Ahh ok I thought you had seen all the photos too. I like using that hosting site because they do not limit my size and if you click on the one image you see it brings them all up and then you can click them a bit larger still.

Robert
Southeast, MO

7 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

It's a calcaneum, probably from a deer.

calcaneaartiodactyls.jpg

calcaneaartiodactylsB.jpg

Dang, I was a few bones off...

Happy hunting,

Mason

21 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

It's a calcaneum, probably from a deer.

calcaneaartiodactyls.jpg

calcaneaartiodactylsB.jpg

So looking at the photos do you believe it is recent or fossil? I will say it has the weight of a stone that size.

Thank you btw.

Robert
Southeast, MO

12 minutes ago, Raistlin said:

So looking at the photos do you believe it is recent or fossil? I will say it has the weight of a stone that size.

Thank you btw.

Could be a fossil . . . It's hard to say from images.  I saw at least two round, depressed, crushed spots on the bone.  Are there matching spots on the other side of the calcaneum?  These may be bite marks from carnivore teeth.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

I looked it over I don't see any more marks. That is not to say they were not there before coming down the river though.

Robert
Southeast, MO

Archived