Fyi On Collecting Fossils In The Low Country Of Sc

AeroMike

Hello all, I wanted to share with all of you a "fictional" incident and warn others at the same time.

I know "a friend" of mine that was collecting sharks teeth on Mount Pleasnt, SC. He didn't have any troubles in the past but one day he was stopped by the DNR and asked what he was doing. He replied that he was collecting fossil sharks teeth and fossils. The DNR officer asked him for his Hobby Divers License, my "friend" replied he wasn't a diver at all and the DNR officer replied that in the state of South Carolina, you MUST have a Hobby Divers License to recreationally collect anything that is on or under the surface of water that is influenced by the tides.

My "friend" got a warning and directions on how to obtain a HDL so that he does not encounter this again. So, if you collect here in the low country or plan to visit the low country of SC to do some collecting, then you will want to check this out. This only applies to bodies of water that are influenced by the tide like canals, rivers, streams, etc.

HDL Linky-link

Just thought I'd save others a heartache,

enjoy~!

" This comment brought to you by the semi-famous AeroMike"

"Make checks payable to..."

And so it goes.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Good information. Also, I have that Adrian Rogers quote printed and displayed on the wall of my office. It's too bad those of us that believe that to be true, are not in control of this country.

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

Paleontology: The next best thing to time travel.

I think that I'd reply that I'm inspecting, studying, exploring, photographing, measuring, etc. or otherwise using and enjoying the property without excavation, substantive injury or distrubance to the site or its environment, endangering other persons or property, or violating other laws. Therefore, I don't need a license.

From the summary of the law:

"A license is not required to inspect, study, explore, photograph, measure etc. or otherwise use and enjoy such property as long as the activity does not involve: excavation, substantive injury or disturbance of the site or its environment, endanger other persons or property, or violate other laws. Neither the Institute nor the Museum is required to obtain licenses."

Actually, I'd rather have the permit than pay an expensive ticket. Of course, I'm just being a smart butt about it :D . I don't think that this is needed for beaches though.

Kevin Wilson

Actually, I'd rather have the permit than pay an expensive ticket. Of course, I'm just being a smart butt about it :D . I don't think that this is needed for beaches though.

Well, I have never had any problems on the beaches, even when I am metal detecting on the beach or in the water but I have applied for my license just to be sure.

I agree with you all about Adrian Rogers. It is funny how the only people that saying "offends" are the ones that are looking for a handout. :rolleyes: I have this saying in my office at work for all to see.

" This comment brought to you by the semi-famous AeroMike"

I think that I'd reply that I'm inspecting, studying, exploring, photographing, measuring, etc. or otherwise using and enjoying the property without excavation, substantive injury or distrubance to the site or its environment, endangering other persons or property, or violating other laws. Therefore, I don't need a license.

From the summary of the law:

"A license is not required to inspect, study, explore, photograph, measure etc. or otherwise use and enjoy such property as long as the activity does not involve: excavation, substantive injury or disturbance of the site or its environment, endanger other persons or property, or violate other laws. Neither the Institute nor the Museum is required to obtain licenses."

that says nothing about collecting, so if they see you with a bucket.... hehe.. better watch out!

"To do is to be." -Socrates

"People are Stupid." -Wizard's First Rule

"Happiness is a warm Jeep." -Auspex

I have been stopped several times and checked for life jackets, fire extinguisher and hobby license. But of course I was diving so that is to be expected. I did not know that you needed it to hunt along the banks.

As for the Dr. Rodgers quote, I'll bet he would be impressed with how the money has been borrowed, printed and distributed over the last two years.