July Fossils: epochal and latitudinal variations

flyg

This is a cobbled together report of a couple of short excursions in July. Early in the month I took the kids to visit my mother at the old home in northern Pennsylvania. It was a nice escape from the heat and fun to introduce the kids to some of the areas I explored when I was their age. We spent a lot of time playing in the creek. Fresh, living biology was our main interest, but my daughter picked up a couple of nice fossils on the side. She secured a lovely plate, naturally oval shaped, less than 1 cm thick, full of cross-sectional crinoid segment impressions. She also found a nice plate of brachiopod casts. This area is Mississippian or Devonian. These are common fossils for the area, but it's pleasing to consider that these animals were fossilized for millions of years before the fauna we "normally" hunt evolved.

Last weekend I got away for a few hours to hunt a local South Carolina waterway for Oligocene and newer material. The water level was ideal and the water was fairly clear, but the overcast conditions made for a bit less than ideal visibility. With the 90+ F air temperatures, being in the 80+ F water with mask and snorkel felt marvelous. I turned up a fair number of teeth of the typical broken-tipped and fragmented variety, mostly C. angustidens (I think) with a single very worn C. megalodon. There were a small handful of fairly nice smaller teeth mixed in. I picked up a couple of nice turtle plastron fragments with good surface detail. I also found an alligator osteoderm which I think is actually a modern piece. Sorry about the dark fossil photos--I never seem to have time to get good photos in daylight, but I'm going to work on it.

G

P7060105ed.jpg

P7060107ed.jpg

P7060095ed.jpg

P7060112ed.jpg

P7120001ed.jpg

P7120009ed.jpg

P7120010ed.jpg

P7120016ed.jpg

P7120017ed.jpg

P7230005ed.jpg

P7250009ed.jpg

P7250039ed.jpg

P7250014.jpg

P7250018.jpg

P7250028ed.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Not Bad for a day's hunt!  I like the angustiden.  The Gator piece is hard to see, it looks worn, so it may not be as new as you think?

Some great finds here, good job to you and your kids!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Beautiful shark teeth you found there. Also love the crayfish, catch a couple more and they'd make a nice snack!