Okay What is It? Geode or Fossil

MDS5866

Greetings once more,

This is my second posting and has a direct correlation to my opening post. As previously stated the fossil/geode, displayed in the photos, has been in my possession since my father's passing in 2004. I have no idea as to where or how he obtained but will say that he was a traveler and collector of various items from around the world. The identity of this item has been the topic of many discussions between my wife and kids (now grown). They both still ask me as to "What is it?". So I humbly call upon the members today; What is it?

FYI, I will be posting several high resolution pics (11) for your review

Regards

Mark

IMG_0316.JPG

I don't see any sign of fossils. I don't know anything about geodes or related stuff, others will know more.

• I found this Informative 1

Well I have tried to upload more but it says I am limited on size submissions. Please advise as i have more for review. It may be hard to tell with the one picture but there appears to be a seam involving three lines that almost appear to form a "Y".

Mark

I was able to upload a second photo.

IMG_0319.JPG

Foozil thank you for your response. I hope that I can submit the other 9 photos to give a better overall perception.

Mark

Well I wanted to submit more but it keeps saying that I am over the size limit for submission. I can send photos upon request. I will add that the item is approximately 50mm in circumference and weighs approximately 140grams.

Mark

This is not a fossil.

It could be a thunder egg or an agate nodule.

1 minute ago, MDS5866 said:

Well I wanted to submit more but it keeps saying that I am over the size limit for submission. I can send photos upon request. I will add that the item is approximately 50mm in circumference and weighs approximately 140grams.

Mark

There is a 3.95 mega byte limit per post. You should be able to add more pictures in replies to this thread. If Your pictures are not to big, and it will not let You add them - try refreshing the page.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

More scans and sorry if I duplicated some. There hopefully is enough to confirm the previous comments of it being a thunder egg or agate nodule.

Regards

Mark

IMG_0323.JPG

IMG_0322.JPG

IMG_0321.JPG

Last one to show weight

IMG_0327.JPG

If it is a geode/thunder egg would it be worth the time to cut/see what is inside or is it better to leave as is?

Mark

Definitely a thunder egg. The "bands" are where the agate interior is showing through the "shell"

The only way to know if it is a geode is to cut it open and see if it is hollow inside.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Thanks Ynot for answering this 13 year old mystery to me at least! if I decide to open is there one way that is better than another? Thanks for all one's time as well for replying.

Mark

I would leave it intact, as a memory of your father.  But, I'm the sentimental type! :megdance:

If this was not of sentimental value, I would crack this open for sure. But if this truly contained a hollow center full of spectacular crystals, opening it would expose it's beauty. So my suggestion is to take it to a local veterinarian or physician that has the capability to x ray this specimen. It will then tell you if it is hollow and allow you to proceed to open it if so.

Mike

Mark,

If you do decide to cut the thunderegg from your father, the cut must be oriented in a certain way determined by the fortification lines evident on the surface. This ensures that you will reveal the largest "face" of the agate banding. There are a number of online references, in addition to the one below, to help you understand how to determine this; however, a lapidary shop or a rock club might be able to assist you since they may have experience with cutting them. Thundereggs are quite beautiful when cut and polished. 

http://www.zianet.com/geodekid/howtocut.htm

Leah :) 

• I found this Informative 3

Thanks to all for all the suggestions and link. I will update as to if I change my mind and have it opened.

Mark