Jump to content
Seguidora-de-Isis

Lot with Psittacosaurus fossils. Everything Real?

Recommended Posts

Seguidora-de-Isis

Hello. Good morning to everyone who participates in my favorite Forum! I bought from an American seller (never, ever from a Malaysian seller :blink:), 5 articulated Psittacosaurus vertebra. I know it is most likely real, but my main doubt is where exactly these vertebrae fit into the skeleton?

 

9464781501.png

 

9807877002.png

 

5963961304.png

 

1857158403.png

 

8084129005.png

 

5815792806.png

 

1598504707.png

 

:D And in this same lot, I also bought the Pitsittacus ilium fossil:

 

9239564301.png

 

2353096002.png

 

7182763703.png

 

3327498404.png

 

Everything 100% Real? Was it a good purchase? Thank you for all the answers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Foozil

No idea about them, but congrats on purchasing such an iconic species. Very cool! :wub: :envy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WhodamanHD

I'm not that great with authentification, but I don't see anything wrong on first glance. Great acquisition! I wish they sold individual bones like this more often...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pemphix

Bones seems ok for me, but where the vertebrae fit is difficult to tell because it depends on some things to be clarified.

Maybe @Troodon can tell more...

 

Best regards,

Pemphix

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LordTrilobite

I'd say that looks pretty good.

 

I have 2 replica Psittacosaurus skeletons. And these do seem to fit very well with Psittacosaurus. The ilium bone especially fits really well with Psittacosaurus. The broken end is the front. It's a little hard to tell but I think it's the left ilium.

 

Here's a picture of my replica for reference. I think your vertebrae look like they are properly articulated and they seem to fit with the shape of the base of the tail.

psittaco04.thumb.jpg.a47c1962e7357763ee0f77bd68a1cac8.jpg

 

 

So yeah, part of a tail and (left?) ilium of a Psittacosaurus.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Seguidora-de-Isis
2 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

I'd say that looks pretty good.

 

I have 2 replica Psittacosaurus skeletons. And these do seem to fit very well with Psittacosaurus. The ilium bone especially fits really well with Psittacosaurus. The broken end is the front. It's a little hard to tell but I think it's the left ilium.

 

Here's a picture of my replica for reference. I think your vertebrae look like they are properly articulated and they seem to fit with the shape of the base of the tail.

psittaco04.thumb.jpg.a47c1962e7357763ee0f77bd68a1cac8.jpg

 

 

So yeah, part of a tail and (left?) ilium of a Psittacosaurus.

 

 

 

Thank you my friend LordTrilobite. I agree with your ID. I also came to the conclusion that it is the left ilium, since in the Psittacosaurus, the flattened part of the ilium is always inward, and the most textured part is always out. So it really is a left ilium. As for the vertebrae, I also think they are caudal. And in my opinion, they all fit together like this:

01.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aurelius

Here's my rather dusty one, if it helps.

 

_2540822.thumb.jpg.8b02b21f275abdabef4ebe55e832c604.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Seguidora-de-Isis
24 minutes ago, Aurelius said:

Here's my rather dusty one, if it helps.

 

I'm a bit confused :blink:... They should have lateral processes in these bones, or at least marks that once existed there ...

 

01.PNG

 

But yes, thanks, it helped a lot, this indicates that in the ilium of this specimen, the smooth part is always in, While the textured part is always out, as the said the LordTrilobite, and as also I already suspected. Congratulations your Psittacosaurus is beautiful and great for presentation. :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aurelius

I'm not entirely sure what happened with the vertebrae. Some do have signs of processes (e.g. the second from right), but it's possible that the rest are broken off more fully, or even added upside-down. The ribs are entirely fabricated, but I suspect the verts are just quite poorly prepped out of the matrix, and then modified so that they don't look terrible.

 

 

Or they are just too dusty to tell! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Seguidora-de-Isis
9 minutes ago, Aurelius said:

I'm not entirely sure what happened with the vertebrae. Some do have signs of processes (e.g. the second from right), but it's possible that the rest are broken off more fully, or even added upside-down. The ribs are entirely fabricated, but I suspect the verts are just quite poorly prepped out of the matrix, and then modified so that they don't look terrible.

 

 

Or they are just too dusty to tell! :D

 

I am very much against the preparers wearing Cannabis sativa when they are working on assembling a skeleton.

:hearty-laugh:

 

I believe that these vertebrae (A) are not caudal. And there is no doubt that in (B), in this bone, there really is a process, and it is precisely in this process that the rib should be docked. But even so, this skeleton is very beautiful for display. Hugs!

 

Note: This rib and this vertebra should start a little further on.

01.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aurelius

Yes, I think that the verts are a bit of a random mix! When they built these particular skeletons they tended not to bother about total accuracy and there is a lot of substitution of parts from multiple specimens. But it has a lovely skull and limbs, so I can live with that :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Seguidora-de-Isis
12 minutes ago, Aurelius said:

Yes, I think that the verts are a bit of a random mix! When they built these particular skeletons they tended not to bother about total accuracy and there is a lot of substitution of parts from multiple specimens. But it has a lovely skull and limbs, so I can live with that :)

 

 

I also believe that these vertebrae are all random. But if I had a skeleton like this, containing a skull and beautiful limbs, I also believe I could live with all this :D! Congratulations! Huge hug my friend Aurelius!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Seguidora-de-Isis

And in this same batch, I also bought 9 articulated caudal vertebra tail. I am very happy with this purchase! :D

 

01.PNG

02.PNG

03.PNG

04.PNG

05.PNG

06.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hxmendoza

Nice acquisitions. All looks authentic to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Speeding Carno

Great purchases, it's a beautiful specimen from an amazing dinosaur!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jpenn

Nice to see all three go to the same buyer! I like when material stays together.

 

I've bought from this seller multiple times (Hell Creek crocodile material and also Japanese armor.) Satisfactory every time and priced very well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×