Lot with Psittacosaurus fossils. Everything Real?

Seguidora-de-Isis

Hello. Good morning to everyone who participates in my favorite Forum! I bought from an American seller (never, ever from a Malaysian seller :blink:), 5 articulated Psittacosaurus vertebra. I know it is most likely real, but my main doubt is where exactly these vertebrae fit into the skeleton?

9464781501.png

9807877002.png

5963961304.png

1857158403.png

8084129005.png

5815792806.png

1598504707.png

:D And in this same lot, I also bought the Pitsittacus ilium fossil:

9239564301.png

2353096002.png

7182763703.png

3327498404.png

Everything 100% Real? Was it a good purchase? Thank you for all the answers.

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

I'm not that great with authentification, but I don't see anything wrong on first glance. Great acquisition! I wish they sold individual bones like this more often...

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Bones seems ok for me, but where the vertebrae fit is difficult to tell because it depends on some things to be clarified.

Maybe @Troodon can tell more...

Best regards,

Pemphix

I'd say that looks pretty good.

I have 2 replica Psittacosaurus skeletons. And these do seem to fit very well with Psittacosaurus. The ilium bone especially fits really well with Psittacosaurus. The broken end is the front. It's a little hard to tell but I think it's the left ilium.

Here's a picture of my replica for reference. I think your vertebrae look like they are properly articulated and they seem to fit with the shape of the base of the tail.

psittaco04.thumb.jpg.a47c1962e7357763ee0f77bd68a1cac8.jpg

So yeah, part of a tail and (left?) ilium of a Psittacosaurus.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

2 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

I'd say that looks pretty good.

I have 2 replica Psittacosaurus skeletons. And these do seem to fit very well with Psittacosaurus. The ilium bone especially fits really well with Psittacosaurus. The broken end is the front. It's a little hard to tell but I think it's the left ilium.

Here's a picture of my replica for reference. I think your vertebrae look like they are properly articulated and they seem to fit with the shape of the base of the tail.

psittaco04.thumb.jpg.a47c1962e7357763ee0f77bd68a1cac8.jpg

So yeah, part of a tail and (left?) ilium of a Psittacosaurus.

Thank you my friend LordTrilobite. I agree with your ID. I also came to the conclusion that it is the left ilium, since in the Psittacosaurus, the flattened part of the ilium is always inward, and the most textured part is always out. So it really is a left ilium. As for the vertebrae, I also think they are caudal. And in my opinion, they all fit together like this:

01.PNG

03.PNG

24 minutes ago, Aurelius said:

Here's my rather dusty one, if it helps.

I'm a bit confused :blink:... They should have lateral processes in these bones, or at least marks that once existed there ...

01.PNG

But yes, thanks, it helped a lot, this indicates that in the ilium of this specimen, the smooth part is always in, While the textured part is always out, as the said the LordTrilobite, and as also I already suspected. Congratulations your Psittacosaurus is beautiful and great for presentation. :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

03.PNG

I'm not entirely sure what happened with the vertebrae. Some do have signs of processes (e.g. the second from right), but it's possible that the rest are broken off more fully, or even added upside-down. The ribs are entirely fabricated, but I suspect the verts are just quite poorly prepped out of the matrix, and then modified so that they don't look terrible.

Or they are just too dusty to tell! :D

9 minutes ago, Aurelius said:

I'm not entirely sure what happened with the vertebrae. Some do have signs of processes (e.g. the second from right), but it's possible that the rest are broken off more fully, or even added upside-down. The ribs are entirely fabricated, but I suspect the verts are just quite poorly prepped out of the matrix, and then modified so that they don't look terrible.

Or they are just too dusty to tell! :D

I am very much against the preparers wearing Cannabis sativa when they are working on assembling a skeleton.

:hearty-laugh:

I believe that these vertebrae (A) are not caudal. And there is no doubt that in (B), in this bone, there really is a process, and it is precisely in this process that the rib should be docked. But even so, this skeleton is very beautiful for display. Hugs!

Note: This rib and this vertebra should start a little further on.

01.PNG

03.PNG

Yes, I think that the verts are a bit of a random mix! When they built these particular skeletons they tended not to bother about total accuracy and there is a lot of substitution of parts from multiple specimens. But it has a lovely skull and limbs, so I can live with that :)

12 minutes ago, Aurelius said:

Yes, I think that the verts are a bit of a random mix! When they built these particular skeletons they tended not to bother about total accuracy and there is a lot of substitution of parts from multiple specimens. But it has a lovely skull and limbs, so I can live with that :)

I also believe that these vertebrae are all random. But if I had a skeleton like this, containing a skull and beautiful limbs, I also believe I could live with all this :D! Congratulations! Huge hug my friend Aurelius!

03.PNG

And in this same batch, I also bought 9 articulated caudal vertebra tail. I am very happy with this purchase! :D

01.PNG

02.PNG

03.PNG

04.PNG

05.PNG

06.PNG

03.PNG

Nice to see all three go to the same buyer! I like when material stays together.

I've bought from this seller multiple times (Hell Creek crocodile material and also Japanese armor.) Satisfactory every time and priced very well.

Archived