Hand eye cordination with a microscope?

Fossil Claw

Bought a used microscope for prep work.  What is the best way to develop hand eye coordination when looking through the microscope?

is it just a matter of practice or is there a method to getting used to it?

It is really awkward!!!!!

It is a bit awkward at first. It really just takes practice. Start by using a needle or dental pick to clean soft matrix from smaller fossils. I started with tweezers sorting microfossils. That lets you move a lot and get used to the disconnect between hand and eyes.

2 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

It is a bit awkward at first. It really just takes practice. Start by using a needle or dental pick to clean soft matrix from smaller fossils. I started with tweezers sorting microfossils. That lets you move a lot and get used to the disconnect between hand and eyes.

Great ideas @Ptychodus04,

Sorting microfossils forces you to bring the tweezers to a target and will quickly develop hand eye co-ordination under the scope.

Also starting at lower magnification and working up will help.

Yup, all good advice.

The biggest issue I had with my first microscope prep was going too deep! 

My depth perception seemed to be off in the binocular vision

1 hour ago, FossilDudeCO said:

Yup, all good advice.

The biggest issue I had with my first microscope prep was going too deep! 

My depth perception seemed to be off in the binocular vision

Thats because most are not stereo microscopes. Most have a single objective lens where the path is split by prisms and sent to two separate eyepieces (oculars). 

So, basically it's just like looking through one eye (no depth perception) without the physical strain of closing the other eye.

I have an antique microscope that is truly stereo (2 completely separate light paths) and the depth perception is great. The only problem is they are 100% vertical so you really get neck strain when using. I'm much happier sacrificing depth for comfort now that I'm used to working that way.

1 hour ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Thats because most are not stereo microscopes. Most have a single objective lens where the path is split by prisms and sent to two separate eyepieces (oculars). 

So, basically it's just like looking through one eye (no depth perception) without the physical strain of closing the other eye.

I have an antique microscope that is truly stereo (2 completely separate light paths) and the depth perception is great. The only problem is they are 100% vertical so you really get neck strain when using. I'm much happier sacrificing depth for comfort now that I'm used to working that way.

That is really interesting Kris. I always assumed that all binocular microscopes were stereo. 

That is the secret when you buy a microscope, "stereo" has two separate microscopes bundled side by side, a "binocula"r is one objective and two eyepieces and no depth perception and then there is "trinocular" which adds one port for a camera.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arizona Chris

Paleo Web Site:  http://schursastrophotography.com/fossiladventures.html

Archived