Fossils? Found in Pennsylvania

Kingofthekats

2 minutes ago, Kingofthekats said:

Could the other be polished dinosaur bone?

Not likely.  

Where in PA was it found?

There are some Triassic exposures in Bucks County, but not much in the way of dinosaur bones has been  found in PA. 

Looks more geologic to me. :unsure: 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Raubsville I found indian artifacts like arrowheads and pottery Maybe a trade item

Does anyone know what the tooth is and maybe how old? Ynot thank you for your answer and everyone else that answered too

1 hour ago, ynot said:

not sure if deer or horse.

59 minutes ago, Kingofthekats said:

Does anyone know what the tooth is and maybe how old? Ynot thank you for your answer and everyone else that answered too

Look above ^^^^^^^^^

I agree with incisor, and geologic, maybe a large grained Quartzite. Dinosaur bone unfortunately doesn't polish itself (although in the Isle of Wight has water polished iguanodontid bones). As stated the Newark supergroups (including the Gettysburg formation and new oxford formation) contains  dinosaur remains, but more commonly dinosaur footprints. These formations are well south of you however.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Your darker rock is a fine-grained quartz conglomerate which is a sedimentary rock. Since most of the quartz clasts are larger than 2mm it is a conglomerate. If the grain size were below 2mm then it would be a sandstone.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

2 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Your darker rock is a fine-grained quartz conglomerate which is a sedimentary rock. Since most of the quartz clasts are larger than 2mm it is a conglomerate. If the grain size were below 2mm then it would be a sandstone.

Great observation.

2mm is the cutoff between sand and pebbles. Everything smaller than 2mm is clay/silt/sand and above pebbles cobbles boulders etc.

Archived