Please Help ID this Beautiful Beach find!

FinderandKeeper

I was scanning my local beach after a storm one day and came across this laying on the edge of the shoreline, I was very surprised by the weight of this dense beauty! The location was Cape Henry in Virginia Beach (where the Chesapeake Bay meets the Atlantic Ocean). Any help as to what it may be would be greatly appreciated!!! I'm praying it's some sort of horn or bone from a prehistoric creature! 

Thanks, AAA

20170718_144205_HDR.jpg

20170718_143957_HDR.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

It looks geologic to me, but let's wait for others to chime in. 

Neat looking piece, for sure. The colours are very nice. :) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Welcome! Sorry, but its just a sedimentary rock. 

And I agree with Kane, it does look very cool!

This is unfortunately not a fossil, it appears to be a worn sedimentary rock, indicated by the bands. The striking blue I would guess to be from a iron or copper compound. Others may know better than I.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Thanks for the quick responses! I'm not going to lie, I'm sad to find out that it's just a rock :) oh well, it will be appreciated the same by me no matter what it is! 

6 minutes ago, FinderandKeeper said:

Thanks for the quick responses! I'm not going to lie, I'm sad to find out that it's just a rock :) oh well, it will be appreciated the same by me no matter what it is! 

Nothing's ever just a rock, odds are that rock formed over many millions of years. The bands indicate it was created by different types of sediment layering on top of each other, possibly showing reversals of a river, or climate changes, or who knows what else! Plus it's really pretty, I tend to keep any rock I find appealing to the eye. 

• I found this Informative 3

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

sometimes a "dense" rock is rich in minerals.  For instance, if you find a piece of barite or pyrite it will feel exceptionally heavy.

Virginia has had a long and interesting mining history.  This link shows various active and inactive mining sites.  https://www.dmme.virginia.gov/webmaps/DMM/

and the dmme site provides a good mineralogical description of the region- there's been a lot of iron collected in Virginia in the last 250 years.

You might have iron in the outer layer of rock 

Depending how much you like the specimen, you might be able to dissolve some of it in a strong acid - Nitric is best, but it gets harder to come by as it can be used to make explosives.

HCl can dissolve quite a few things-some iron compounds, and it will react aggressively with carbonates.  Then you can precipitate the solution with dilute sodium hydroxide, ammonia  etc- and based on the results of the reactions, you might get an idea of what mineral you have.  

• I found this Informative 3

Sedimentary rock, probably with some siderite (iron carbonate) in it, hence the higher density, which is partially wheatered. The flaking in some spots is typical of siderit-cemented sediments (siderite is wheatering to "limonite", thereby thin layers of the rock are flaking of). My guess is, that the whole rock is a siderite-cemented sand- or siltstone, the outer layer somewhat wheatered and later partially broken of by wave action etc.

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 5

So many people call picked materials "rocks",  although true,  there is yet another way to describe your find and many other's finds as well.

"It was a rock when you found it on the ground."

You picked it up and took it home.  

Thus by this action it became a "Specimen".

• I found this Informative 4